From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:49:53 EST

Hi Erin and All,

Just a reminder:  They may call in almond milk, but it isn't milk.  Only milk
is milk.
I am lactose intolerant, whichis normal for most people as they pass age 40,
but I do still want the benefits of milk in my eating plan so I use Lactaid
or take the tablets when I want dairy.  Some people don't like dairy or can't
have it at all for other reasons and then they should find other calcium
sources.  But, please don't be fooled into thinking that Almond, Hazelnut or
Soy is milk. Dairy milk comes from lactating mammals and not from nuts and
plants.  I worry about this with women who are of an age where calcium
depletion becomes an issue.  There are wonderful veggie sources for calcium,
but dairy has so many benefits that it should not be overlooked.

On another note, I had an amazing dinner last night at a restaurant on City
Island in the Bronx, NY.  I went to Sea Shore and it was great.  I was there
with three other people after we went to see the famous Christmas House on
Pelham Parkway.  It was snowing and cold and just a wonderful evening.  I
spoke with the waiter about my special needs and he couldn't have bent over
more backwards without breaking his back.  Everything was perfect.  They
prepared my Chilean Sea Bass with almond crust in a freshly washed pan.  I
had a salad with little shrimp in it and no croutons.
When my friends were gorging themselves on the delicious (I guess it was
because they were moaning) bread, they served up a tray of olives, carrots,
celery, pickled veggies and mushrooms, so that I could eat too.  I highly
recommend this place, both for food and service.  It was just wonderful and I
didn't have to make a big deal.

Love and peace,

Libby
NYC