From:
ronald owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ronald owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:27:58 -0500

#4. IF YOU USE DAPSONE, WHAT STRENGTH DO YOU USE, HOW OFTEN DO YOU HAVE
BLOOD TESTS, AND HAVE YOU HAD ADVERSE RESULTS? =  "Given 50mg Dapsone which
worked in about 3 days, blood tests every 2 weeks; after 2 wks. had reaction
of horrid, itchy, purplish rash on my trunk, feet, & backs of hands--way
worse than DH--went away when off Dapsone (not surprised-I have problems
with many drugs." /  "Used Dapsone for about 6 mo. at 300mg per day, then
tapered off myself...sounds dangerous & wanted to be off quickly." /  "About
15 yrs. ago used Dapsone & had reaction; very odd rash appeared on my
shins-not DH rash-red, small, raised bumps, very tender and painful to
SLIGHTEST touch--even wearing pants was PAINFUL. It had affected my nerve
endings. They thought I had LEPROSY!! Had biopsy, waited 3 wks., confirmed
was a drug reaction." /  "I took 100mg a day and was still breaking out. (I
was not on GF diet.)" /  "I take 25mg once daily. Before I went FG, I was
taking 125mg daily. I have blood tests every 4-6 mo. to check red & white
count & liver function. My white count is in the low normal range, but has
been consistently so; we monitor it carefully and find no adverse effects."
/  "Tried 25mg Dapsone for a month; had the initial base line blood test and
that was it. Yes, I had adverse results--neurological side effects."

#5. IF YOU STILL HAVE RASHES, DO YOU FIND ANY TIME/SITUATION WHEN YOU HAVE
NO PROBLEMS, OR WHEN SYMPTOMS INCREASE, SUCH AS REGARDING HEAT, HUMIDITY, OR
COLD" = "When my skin gets dry, I have a problem, so winter is hard.  In the
summer I am better except when I get sweaty or accidentally ingest gluten."
/ "I was diagnosed 18 mo. ago, GF since, and break out only in the summers;
I'm okay in the winter time (dry skin makes me itch, but not like DH). I
think maybe it's the heat AND humidity that affects me, because I'm
certainly warm sometimes in the winter, with no effect." /  "My symptoms get
worse during my period." /  "I get atopic eczema in winter--vaseline very
effective. Also get rash from corn if I eat too much." /  "I have different
rash--not the DH blisters--occurs from heat, cold, humidity, and stress.
(Take lots of Benadryl and Advil)." /  "I've had 2 setbacks from
medications--went away when off meds about 10 days." /  "Stress brings it
on." /  "Heat. I get it more in summer." /  "I had an outbreak after eating
a large amount of shrimp--took about a mo. to clear up." /  "Sun exposure
causes an increase." /  "Heat increases the symptoms; cold relieves them
somewhat." /  "Before Dapsone, heat made it infinitely worse!"