From:
Leslie Emrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:33:11 EST

     After suffering with abdominal cramping and diarrhea for 20 months, my
doctor finally mentioned Celiac Disease.  He ran the blood work.  I only got
a positive Gliadin result of 27 (not sure what this means).  He recommended a
gluten-free diet.  I started the diet almost three weeks ago, and my pain
disappeared after two days.  I'm still waiting for my appointment with my GI
- it's not for another two weeks.  I know I'll have to wait to get the biopsy
too.  I AM NOT  willing to go back to eating gluten.  I don't think I could
tolerate another day of the pain.  Will the biopsy still show damage?  Any
suggestions?

     Now, my children were given the blood test.  Two of my children had
elevated levels of the Gliaden test.  One scored a 29 (this is my son with a
type of autism called Asperger's syndrome).  He doesn't have any digestive
symptoms.  My daughter scored a 14.  Her Doctor said she should be watched.
She seems to be the one who shows signs of CD.  She has tummy aches and leg
cramps.  Can any one help me figure out what this all means?  Their Doctor
didn't seem to know much.  I think I will put my son on the Gluten-Free diet,
since it has been shown to help with autism, but what about my daughter?
Should I wait for a biopsy?  My husband is really against the biopsy.  He
would rather wait until they are older.  The diet is not that difficult since
I am already on it, and I homeschool, so they are not exposed to outside
food.

     Thank you for any replies!