From:
Stacy Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stacy Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 18:25:14 -0600

My son is 9 and had the IGA screening test a couple years ago that included
the total IGA. The entire panel was not run unfortunately and at the time I
was unwilling to put him through another blood collection because the
phlebotomist ended up digging with the needle in his arm to get it. I am
gluten intolerant and my tests were done a month after I went gf 8 years ago
(and were negative) and I would not make it one meal eating gluten let alone
the several weeks or months necessary to be retested.

My son has had the usual childhood behavior issues like tantrums, fears,
sullenness, irritability, not getting along with other kids, thinking that
everyone is making fun of him, and I could go on that were minimal years
ago. But instead of growing out of them, they have been getting much worse
over the past 6 months. Looking at a list of signs of childhood depression,
my son had 12 out of the 15 listed on one website. This past 2 weeks his
actions and words have prompted me to begin to take serious action but I am
not sure which direction to start first. I was going to start at a child
psychologist but then remembered there may be a link between depression and
Celiac.

I am leaning towards going back to his pediatrician to talk about retesting
him for celiac (with a more experienced phlebotomist!) before heading to the
psychologists office. I wanted to know what others have any insight or words
of wisdom for me.

Thank you,
Stacy

*******