From:
Dennis Languay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:18:37 -0400

To Adult List Members:

I was diagnosed Celiac about 4 months ago. Until that time I had enjoyed
a shot of Jack Daniel's from time to time. Since it is a grain based
whiskey, I eliminated it from my list of small pleasures along with most
other alcoholic beverages.

I was recently in touch with the people at the JD distillery to see
whether or not the were adding anything to the distilled whiskey to
augment the color or flavor. Got the following reply:

"In regard to your question about gluten, I have good news. Although it
is true that corn, rye and barley malt (which contain gluten) are
primary ingredients in our Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, any gluten
that might be present is entirely removed in the distilling process. I
checked with our chief chemist, George Stone, and he confirmed that this
is correct, with the exception of Gentleman Jack, which has some color
and flavor added. We recommend that you obtain your physician's
clearance, but based on our knowledge, Jack Daniel's is gluten-free."

This sounds like pretty good news to me!

Dennis