From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:55:45 -0400

First let me say, thank you so much to everyone who responded..
I received recipes, and suggestions galore...and thank you to
everyone...

I ended up making pop tarts from the recipe at Miss Robens site using
GFP pie crust mix and smucker's jams/jellies...I frosted them with
Duncan Hines vanilla frosting and sprinkled with sugar (red, green) and
cinnamon sugar. I made apple, strawberry, and grape. I tasted them last
night, the apple and strawberry, and they were pretty good..not great
but pretty good...and I think they probably "cured" overnight..so
they'll be better today...I never liked the crusty part of pop
tarts..and these actually were the size of raviolis or maybe a little
larger..so there was a lot of crust. I also took apple jelly,
fleischmann's light, and some cream biscuits that one of our Whole Foods
markets (Chapel Hill Wellspring) makes...and I know those are good.
So, I'm hoping that they went well...I'm often hopeful when I make a
recipe and then disappointed....I also sub for Eggs, since we're all
allergic (as well as children at school)...and we're allergic to
peanuts, as well as many of the children at school, so there's no
peanuts allowed there (thank you though to all who sent peanut
recipes...I will save them).

So, after all that....Here's what was suggested for the taste test day.
ice cream cones(in GFK cookbook)
funnel cakes(in GFK cookbook)
spice snacking cake (in GFK cookbook)
brownies from GFP
peanut butter cookies from gluten free gourmet
peanut butter cookies (several recipes)
choc chip cookies (use toll house bag recipe except substitute gf mix
and a little xanthan gum with 1/4 cup soy in mix for flour)
choc chip cookie recipe (on Pamela's mix bag)
Barbara's rice crisps bars (like rice krispies)
Popcorn mixed with m & ms
chocolate chip meringue cookies
peanut butter drops
chocolate pie (sweet nothings chocolate ice cream with is ff, sf, gf,
df, etc and biscotti crust or cookie crust)
mixes from gifts of nature
sugar cookies (from gfcfkids) made into dunkaroos (with frosting)
Brownies from one of Bette Hagman's books
Chocalat-Os (from Germany)
Arrowhead Mills Chocolate chip cookies(add extra butter and chocalate to
make rich ifyou desire)
Brownie cupcakes from the gluten free gourmet
Chewy "oatmeal" cookies
puffed rice squares
Erewhon Rice Twice krispy treats(recipe on marshmallow bag but use
erewhon instead0
truffle brownies from GFP with frosting
EnerG rice mix cookies
Pumpkin or applesauce mini muffins
Meringue cookies with cherries or choc chips
black olives stuffed with cream cheese
vegetables with peanut butter
hershey's cocoa recipe brownies (use rice flour instead)
nestle's choc chip recipe with Bette Hagman's four flour mix instead
Fruity pebble "rice krispie" bars (Fruity pebbles aren't GF anymore..use
Malt O Meal dynobites)
Peanut butter kisses
chocolate cake/cupcakes
chocolate lollipops (wilton choc drops melted into forms)
Pancakes or crepes with cinnamon sugar, jam, fruit, choc shavings, and
whipped cream
anything small (mini muffins, pancakes etc-little kids like little
foods)
GF sparkling heart cookies
brownies
butterscotch brownies (from living well without wheat-bette hagman)
mississippi mud brownies (csa/usa collection #6 page 158)
choc. chip/peanut butter cookies
jello jigglers
gluten free dairy free oreo cookies (from miss robens)
gluten free white cupcakes

I hope I didn't leave anything out....

I am extremely grateful, as always, to everyone on the lists for
suggestions....I will post again to let you all know how everything
turned out and if the kids enjoyed the snacks...I was running short on
time, in the first place, so  I didn't have time to do a whole lot...but
I will be definitely utilizing all these suggestions in the future...

Thanks again to all!

Andrea and Grey 5/5/97 (both celiac) and Forest 9/9/99 (gf until at
least age 2)