From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 17:07:46 EDT

I know that a request for pickles surfaces now and again. I have been
making these for years...long before I ever worried about gluten. My
mom made them in huge quantities but simplified the recipe for a "by the
jar" amount that works for me.

Dill Pickles
--------------
Wash jars carefully in hot soapy water (I run through the dishwasher).

To each quart jar add:
1 TBL UNiodized salt
1-2 tsp Pickling spice
1 clove garlic
1 sprig fresh dill
1 TBL cider vinegar

Pack in small, firm cukes (such as kirby or other pickling variety).
Boil water and add to the top. Seal with sterile lids. I always turn
upside down for a time. You'll hear a "ping" as they seal up after they're
turned back the right way.

Leave for at least 10 days or till the color has lightened considerably,
unless you want "near dills."

I use the same recipe for green tomatoes. Last summer I picked four or five
quarts of tiny green, pear shaped tomatoes, and pickled them. Heavenly.