From:
Sara Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:53:13 +0000

I was diagnosed with a "probable" gluten enteropathy using an Intestinal
Permeability test through Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory in Asheville,
North Carolina.  Since joining this listserv I have read through much of
the available materials and have not read any mention of a test of this
sort.  In this test you avoid anything containing fructose for the 24 hours
before the test and during the test.  You fast for 8 hours, collect a urine
sample, drink a special sugar solution containing lactulose and mannitol,
collect all urine for the next few hours, and then collect a sample of
that.  From these samples the level of lactulose recovery can determine an
increase in permeability between the intestinal epithelial cells and the
level of mannitol recovery can indicate a decrease in permeability to small
molecules through the intestinal mucosal cells.  This test and a whole
variety of other tests I have been given over the past 3 years is the basis
for my doctor's diagnosis.  Are there others of you out there that have
been diagnosed using this test?  What do you think?