From:
Deborah Kate Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 00:38:54 -0400

A million thanks to all of you who replied. . . I was shocked and
grateful to hear from so many of you after being "alone" with this
difficult set of symptoms most of my life and having been made to feel,
even by professionals, that there was no reason for it THEY could find,
so probably it was all "in my head." I knew that wasn't so but it was
hard to live with, both physically and otherwise, not knowing "why"! You
all lifted me up and enlightened me, too! So, this is what you all told me:

*****What seemed the most logical probability, to start with:

Allowing more time, maybe as much as two years, for healing before I ingest
difficult to digest products which are not nourishing and healing my body.
Eating small, frequent, healthy meals- 7 persons

I't's taken a long time for celiac disease to do all t his damage to my
body (I'm 53) so i should give the diet and my body longer than a few
months, perhaps as much as TWO YEARS to heal before throwing things like
potato chips and chocolate into it! A little RESPECT for the body,
puhlease! I heartily agree!!!

*In the "Misery Loves Company-I'm sorry but the validation of others
experiencing this REALLY helped!" category-8 persons

Many of those folks who've had similar symptoms to my "attacks" where I
couldn't eat or swallow, experienced thin, copious drainage from sinuses,
and ended up vomiting bile, agreed that allergies besides wheat might be
involved. Some have found they are:

*allergic to soy, dairy, yeast and/or eggs [one man's suggestions for
dealing with sinus problems: Try the hot and cold treatmentfor your
sinus. Use hot liquids (soup, tea, coffee, hot water from the faucet).
and cold (ice pops, ice cubes, water or liquid in ice]-he also suggested
ice cream, but no way...dairy and sinus problems don't mix!

*Sinus drainage causing allergy-type symptoms-1 person TERRIFIC
suggestion, which I've been doing already, using saline often in dry
times to keep sinuses hydrated, feeling better, less vulnerable.

Other suggestions of potential ailments or inducements to these symptoms
include:

*Contamination of foods-2 persons (indeed, I didn't realize Lays and Utz
chips were contaminated!) a kind soul sent this food list link, which
replaced an old one I had which no longer worked!It's an awesome site!
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/delphi.html

*Migraine-1 person

*Refractory Sprue-1person

*Gallbladder problems-1 person

*gastroparesis-1 person

*Canola oil as a possible culprit-1 person

*The sensitivity to milk, fats, and even chocolate were triggers for
attacks in some folks with IBS/Crohns-1 person

*Avoid dairy&caffeine to reduce stomach acid-3 persons (one suggestion that
I take Losec also) (another suggests eating Lactaid with meals and trying
plain live yogurt.)

*Suggestions that I take supplements to help break down the proteins from
accidental ingestion of gluten-3 persons

(suggested enzymes/products:
   A friend on the list suggested Papaya enzyme to me some time ago.
It's really helpful!  "Solaray.The label says it contains enzymes
essential to the digestion and assimilation of proteins, fats and
carbohydrates.  I take a couple before a meal.  One of the ingredients
is Papain from Papaya, but it also has about 9or 10 other ingredients."
"My md/homeopath told me to take the remedy VETRATRUM ALB 30C whenever
you get a gluten attack...2 pills under the tongue as needed stops it
dead..can get it health food stores for about five dollars.")

*malnourishment, obvious; suggestion of supplementing diet with ensure-1
person

Other helpful thoughts people shared:

"Sounds like your villi are not real capable of breaking down complex
carbs at the moment. I'm that way. I cannot eat dairy or potatos, for
instance, because in the end it's all sugar. Your villi secret three
enzymes to break down sugar.... maltase, sucrase and lactolase. If your
not competent in that area, you will have problems. Talk to your doctor
about this.  I have to stick to honey and watch the kind of carbs I eat.
Sticky, heavy starches are out. A bowl of icecream is out... even though
I'm not lactose intolerant."

"My guess is that you are on track now with avoiding
dairy and fats.  Especially heated fats as in chips."

"In my experience..... anything like chocolate or fatty food has to be
consumed in small doses.  I will have a handful of Fritoes, or a handful
of chocolate chips when I really crave them.  I found those lovely Dove
candies to be too addictive.

And one more, and one more, and you know where that is headed.

When we go out to dinner I also am careful,not only about gluten, but my
body is not used to lots of rich food.  If I have a rich meal, and then
put creme brulee on top of it, it is too much rich food.  And I love
creme brulee.

So try your treats in very small amounts  (once you are healed) and see
if you can get away with it."

"Check the forbiden list often and make a copy and carry it with you.
at www.celiac.com  click on index to find. When you check the archives type
in "summary" and it will give you a lot of info not just questions.
http://maelstrom.stjohn.edu/archives/celiac.html"

--
Deborah Kate Hammond