From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:51:58 -0800

Because Denial is not a river in Egypt? :)

most people are sadly enough in denial. My mother is one of them :( Another
issue is (my mother says this) is it is to much work or they just can live
without
a certain food.. It is very sad -once you remove the offending foods -you do
start to feel better..

**You can bring a horse to water -but you can make them drink*

I don't know. Good question. Please let me know when you find out. My son
will hardly speak to me because I "accused him" of having this illness, he
said I was tiresome and I told him he was immature and adolescent.
I have even wondered if the gluten has already started to destroy his
brain. He has a Phd. and teaches at a major university. It is of course out
of my hands right now and I refuse to get near the issue any more but I am
still curious. Do you suppose it is arrogance that closes the ears (and the
mind)?

They live for McDonalds, Pizza Hut and Twinkles and can't imagine life
without them

because the diet stinks and they know it

There is a simple answer for your question. It is impossible to believe,
that is anything wrong with bread. We worship it, we pray for it, we
working to put bread on our table. Sorry Susan, this must be only in our
head. Would be so dangerous, why would most medical doctors ignoring it. It
is all mentally. Please just take care of your health and live me alone!
That kind of answers I getting from my immediate family and from my adults
kids.
Hope that would be good enough explanation. Was good enough for me, so I
just taking care of my health and live them alone. Even some restaurants
share opinion, that it is all in our head. Yes Susan, it is cruel world up
there.
Have a nice evening and live those people alone. You will become an
annoying woman and nobody will like you.

I'm going to forward this on to my husband, maybe.....

Susan- Hello! I have got to tell you in my family my mother finally was
tested (blood) . My Brother simply refuses to get tested and my dad passed
away so we will never know about him. I know before my mom was tested she
was saying I know I don't have it and even if I do I will eat some gf thing
but never give up my bread. I think that most people think that being
celiac is the end of the world! Most people hear the word "disease " and
think GOD knows what! Ingnornce plays a big factor. Hope this helps

My Dad is like this, even though my son and I both have this
sensitivity. They don't want to know they have a disease and they don't
want to change their diet. You gotta admit wheat is a biggie. Sticking
ones head in the sand never got one well though. It's probably like
trying to get an alcoholic to face their problem. They have to decide to
do it on their own. Very frustrating though!

based on my experiences with diagnosis and with change (life change, career
change, growth-change, limitations, etc.), i would say that the idea of CHANGE
is terribly, profoundly, awfully, painfully scary for most folks.
when i was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, i actually spent two years
mourning the inevitable change that this would mean for my life. i had been
suffering, yes, but i didn't want to learn that my suffering was REAL. that it
had a NAME. that i was SICK.
Same with Celiac. even moreso, I didn't want to have to CHANGE my life. I
didn't want to take medication. I didn't want to give up my favourite
foods, or
take better care of myself. I wanted to feel better without making any effort.
Sure, it sounds ridiculous, but it is every inch true.
Once you learn that you are sick, your entire life changes. Most people aren't
ready for that. Most people don't want to accept the responsibility that it
entails. It takes time to want to heal, in my experience.

I totally agree with you - my sister (who never could conceive and is on
prozac - or a like anti-depressant - but no diarrhea) and my brother (who has
so much wrong with him - but no diarrhea) and my father - who got so sick and
ended up dying from lymphoma - won't get tested. It's called denial -
nothing wrong with me.
I had diarrhea for over 5 years and I was tested for everything but cd - and
I told my family doctor what happened to my father - no one really wants to
"go" there.
All I can say is that I am glad I pushed my family doctor to "go" there.
It's made so much difference in my life - I think the thought of NOT eating
bread and a special diet seems like so much trouble (and initially it is
hard) - so people don't want to think about it.
Good luck with everything - and thanks for posing the question.

Most people would rather have something to complain about, and if they know
what is the problem, then they can work with it and rectify it themselves.
My brother, and sister and their children all have the same hereditary
syndrome that myself and my 3 sons have, but they refuse to be tested for
it. The only thing is that they should have their heart tested every year,
to watch for an aortic valve enlargement. No sir, they do not care!
So I cannot help them, if they decide not to be helped.
My own son has Celiac, but refuses (at age 26) to go on the diet, would
rather suffer a few days every few weeks with the bathroom runs than change
his life pattern. So be it, he is an adult, and I can only suggest.

THEY DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THEY COULD HAVE IT(DENIAL) AND FEAR

I think celiac is still viewed as a "Disease" and the diet looks like "I
have to give up all the foods I like". It's as much a denial reaction as
anything. Diabetics go through this in a different way , but still go
through denial phase.
I don't want to Know. =Denial.

Anyway, my theory is that they do not want to mess with the diet. I am
certain that my sister would have rushed out and gotten tested (she lives
from appointment to appointment, test to test, prescription to
prescription) IF IT WOULD RESULT IN A PRESCRIPTION. People want a quick
answer and an easy cure, they do not want to stop eating bread and
donuts...(and knowing that there are gf alternatives has no appeal
whatsoever - people are basically lazy and do not want to mess with their
regular routine beyond swallowing an extra pill or possibly having a
one-time surgery cure.

on to part 4....