From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:55:38 -0500

I wrote a few months ago that I was writing an article for The Journal of
Gluten Sensitivity about the psychological aspects of celiac disease, and
was blessed with many thoughtful responses on the topic.

One thing I found in my recent research, though, was that there is greater
difficulty for the patient, both in his general happiness and his
willingness to comply to the diet when there was negative pressure from
family and friends.

I remember in the 80s, the Lupus Foundation used to send out substantial
hand-outs to patient Lupus victims describing the disease and how to support
a person struggling with the emotional and physical challenges the disease
presented. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have something that spoke directly to
relatives about their friend, relative or co-worker with celiac disease?

I think one of the reasons that socially, it's so hard for celiac patients
is that friends and family are unsure of how to deal with someone with such
serious food issues. Some are just ignorant of how dangerous celiac disease
is and are unaware of how a patient is impacted by the disease and it's
challenging treatment, the strictly gluten-free diet. There is evidence that
social situations can contribute to non-compliance.

If anyone knows of such a document, please point me to it. Otherwise, I'd
like your suggestions on what this piece should say.

--
Kit Kellison
314-600-5254

*******