From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 18:39:18 -0500

This is my initial response to all of your wonderful and quick answers to my
glucosamine questions.  I will put them all on the list server by early next
week.

Initially, when I asked the endocrinologist about it yesterday she said, its
not for osteoporosis, and....it hasn't been thoroughly tested yet. "Please
don't use it and find that 3-6 years down the line you will have a side
effect that might be disastrous."

Now, many people asked how old I am.  I am 56 and will be 57 at the end of
this month.  I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Sprue in late October 1996,
after initally being diagnosed with Tropical Sprue as i lived in Indonesia
off and on for 8 years about 20 years ago.

I went to a different gastroenterologist than the one who diagnosed me as i
had switched jobs and health plans.  She suggested the one I went to.  When I
showed him the the "Top 10 Tips to Help Celiacs Maintain Sturdy Bones" from
the Sept/Oct issue of Gluten-Free Living, and that #1 states:

"Every patient diagnosed with Celiac Disease, male and female alike, should
have a bone densitometry test at the time of diagnosis.  If the test show
evidence of bone disease, be sure to follow yhour doctor's advide nd have
repeat testing to show improvement."

And asked him if I should have a dexa, he said yes.  Helped me choose a good
endocrinologist who was in my health plan book, also in Bethesda, and to whom
I went.

 She is cautious and very knowledgeable.  She took my blood to test for both
calcium and thyroid.  After some thought, she said yes to the dexa scan.  I
had one at Geo Wash U hosp in Washington (5 minute walk from my office).
 When she called back to say yes I had osteoporsis, I was totally devestated
(sp?).

She not only showed me the report from the Dept of Radiology, her staff
photocopied it for me to take home.  its my baseline as it were, and she
feels I should have another one in a year to see where my bones are.

My calcium was back to  normal, meaning my close adherence to the diet  was
working!!  Yes.

And...she told me of the three medications to increase bone density/mass :

Calcitonin, a nasal spray that is good for the spine but doesn't help the
hip, much.

Fosamax - most productive, has been shown to increase by 8% over 3 years bone
density and reduces fractures at the rate of 40-50%.  good for hip and for
spine.  This is the one I chose to take and that she highly recommended.

Didronel - cousin of fosamax - less potent.

I am taking Fosamax on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning with 8 oz
of water, and am SITTING, STANDING OR WALKING afterwards - NOT LYING
DOWN--and for 45 minutes I eat or drink nothing except plain water. (There is
a problem with ulcers of the esophagus if one lies down, i.e., don't go back
to bed after taking it.)

I seem to have had a bit of a stomach/bowel reaction, however I had champagne
last night, too.  So .... the next few days will tell.  Its gf according to
someone else's message on the listser and made by merck.

My spine is more demineralized than my hip.  The doctor encouraged the fact
that I walk 1-3 miles 5/6 days a week and that I'm beginning to do weight
bearing and stretching exercises every morning.

this is part one.  I will repeat all of your answers to me except for a very
long one that a lovely person in alaska downloaded for me off the internet,
however, will tell what he downloaded for me, soon.  take care  Sarah

Sarah Barnett
Washington, D.C.