From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 20:51:54 -0500

WARNING:   This post may contain some indications that some physicians may
be somewhat less than perfect.   If you can't handle that, don't read it.
Obviously, I am not a physician.

>ect. I  adhere within reason to the "celiac diet".  My DH is chronic

What do you mean by "within reason"?      I strongly suspect that therein
lies your problem.

Most celiacs who "cheat a little bit" ingest far more gluten than they
think for two reasons:

1)    Like the smoker who smokes "only the occasional cigaretter - maybe
one or two a week"  and acutally smokes a half a pack to a pack a day,
most celiacs who "cheat a little bit"  ingest far more gluten than they
think they do.    To check this out try keeping a food diary for a week and
write down **EVERYTHING**  that goes into your mouth (that includes
prescription drugs,  "insignificant" nibbles, etc. -  the whole lot).
Also write down the **ACCURATE** amounts.     Do what you usually do -  if
you alter you habits while recording you are only fooling yourself (but NOT
your immune system!)

2)   The real Trojan horse is the "masking" effect:    If you know that you
are deliberately cheating "a little"   you are almost inevitably going to
be *much* less careful about checking everything you do eat out for hidden
gluten.    You will do a lot more guessing and assuming and a lot less
checking (after all, you know your are already getting a "little"  anyway -
what difference will a "little"  more make?     Well if you carefully add
it up, you may find that that "little" additional adds up to quite a lot  -
maybe even more than the "cheating" (even in spite of the fact that the
"cheating"  is probably a *lot* more than you think.

The operative principle is called "denial" - I strongly suggest that you
look that up and consider its implications.   We ALL do it in some form or
another.

If going *strictly* gluten free for a significant period (and, from what
others have said this may be 6 months to two years!) still does not help,
you should consider the possibility that you react to some "safe" grains
that most celiacs don't react to.     (I myself am one of those "lucky" few
who react to ALL grains (including rice and corn which ARE grains in spite
of often being incorrectly classified as vegetables).

Rember the history of medical awareness of the celiac syndrome:    At first
they insisted that only wheat caused the problem.    Later, bit by little
bit, a few, then more and more, admitted that rye and barley "maybe" caused
the same problem in "a few" individuals.     Now some are admitting that
other grains as well may also cause problems (oats).   It doesn't take much
of a streatch (assuming you have any mental flexability at all) to
understand that it is quite possible (and certainly NOT proven to NOT be
the case)  that a few celiacs may react to ALL grains.     I very strongly
suspect that I would have been dead a long time ago if I had listened to
some of the arrogant, close-minded and dogmatic "experts*1" who adamantly
*insisted* that there was "no way" that any grain other than wheat could be
causing me problems.

Your body is trying to tell you something.     LISTEN!

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC

*1     expert about *some* things maybe, but certainly NOT about the
limitiations of their knowledge.

NOTE:   This post should establish my impartiality as my last post*2
criticised those doctors who were willing to *assume*  (with no scientific
evidence to back them up) that celiacs who did not recover were not truly
following a gluten free diet).
*2  Which was apparently censored.