From:
"Helen A. Berger" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:20:35 EST

Thank you for your responses to my query about lip balms and lipsticks. One
individual noted that we need to be careful of products with Vit. E in them
as the source is often wheat. Several of the products recommended by others
have Vit. E in them. In one case it was noted that the source of the Vit. E
is soy.  I think we need to be careful and check that the Vit E comes from
some source other than wheat. I have listed all those that were recommended
even if they do have Vit E in them.

Here are the recommendations I received from you on this list.

Lip Balm:

Chap stick medicated
LIPZ lipbalm ( found at dentists)
Blistex
Burts Bees lip balm
Ecco Bella (available at Whole Foods and at health food
co-ops)
Just Bee lip balm, by Beehive Botanicals. (With note: The only ingredients
are all natural: almond oil, olive oil, beeswax and vitamin E.) no mention
was made of the source of the  Vit E  in this product).
calendula ointment..(with note: a homeopathic remedy that HEALS ...been using
it for
years....and it stays on and works!)
Bet's Bees.  ( with note:The vitamin E is from soy rather than wheat)

Lip Stick

There was a controversy about Mary Kay. Two people, one who is a Mary Kay
consultant said it is GF, but one respondent said she had gotten sick after
using Mary Kay lipstick.
MAC (recommended by three people)
Neutrogena ( recommended by the most people)
Mabelline
LeClerc lip glosses are gluten free and very nice.
Cover Girl ( with this note included: " The company's reply to me was
that there is no gluten in the formulation, although they do not guarantee
their suppliers")
clinique
urban decay

One woman noted that she has bought some lipsticks and balm but has been too
nervous to use it as she can't afford the time to be sick. I know this is my
concern as well and I suspect most of ours.

Thanks again for your help

Helen
Boston