From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 07:24:17 -0700

This is not advice just my own point of view.

I to agree with the fact that if the child has a known potential to be
celiac, one must give that child a fighting chance to thrive in the early
years, therefore keeping them gluten free.

I am not a medical person just the mom of a celiac child who suffered thru 7
mths of "hell" prior to diagnosis.  As he was only 14 mths old when the
signs started showing he wasn't talking much, just a few words, but he was
developmentally on track with all other children in mental aspect and
further ahead in the physical aspect.

Physically he 1) lost weight, 2) lost muscle tone, 3) quit growing, all the
classic symptoms.  He started walking at 6 mths, climbing over his baby
gates at 9 mths to being carried most of the time at 22 mths.  Mentally I
feel that his brain starved along with his body.  The sicker he got the
worse he spoke until at 22 mths when diagnosed we was just grunting and
pointing. Physically he rebounded on the diet to a full recovery but he is
now in speech therapy (second year pre-school), will be 5 in June and going
to Kindergarten in the fall.  The speech therapist says that it will take
3-4 years to fix his speech problem.  His speech is not ready for
kindergarten but intellectually he cannot be held back.  He has been tested
and lies in the 5% of children in the superior intellectual range.  The
tester said the results could have been different if he understood Cody better.

In my own mind the damage that occurred to my sons body and brain is a
direct result of the gluten he was ingesting.

Karen Bulmer
St. Albert, AB, Canada