From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:48:38 -0400

I had a question yesterday that may not be as clear as it could have been.

I fully understand gluten free, as that is my condition.  I am trying to
understand the wheat free issues, which are not as restrictive (by virtue
of the fact they can eat oats, barley, rye, spelt, etc.).

The people who are allergic to wheat have IgE reactions to *entire whole
protein molecule*.  (As opposed to celiacs, which are reacting to protien
*fractions*) Such IgE allergy reactions can be life threatening, as
anaphlaxis can result from ingestion.  Some people are not that allergic,
but others are.  Allergies are distinct immunological reactions, as opposed
to intolerances such as those found in celiac disease.  The following
items represent a problem in understanding, as I am trying to label the
wheat free items in the store.

Unfortunately, issues of contamination are not my concern, as that is an
issue that would have to be discussed with a manufacturer.  I cannot
guarantee quality control of a shipper, mfg, etc.  If a particular product
bothers someone, they should stop purchasing it, and complain to the
manufacturer.  If they label it wheat or gluten free, unless obviously
incorrect, it is inappropriate for a store to exclude it based upon that
quality control issues.  Individuals must exercise thier own good judgement
in these cases.

Alcohol & vinegar, when distilled, breaks proteins down.  The fractions may
remain, which is quite likely what contributes to a celiac's sensitivity.

But, an immunoglobulin directed against a wheat molecule will only react to
the whole molecule, so should not matter if the protien is in fragments.

I do not want to cause anaphlaxis in someone, so if anyone has knowledge
that whole molecules may remain, I would very much appreciate if you could
share that information.  Or, if there are any reasonable arguments
explaining why a wheat allergic person must avoid vinegars or alcohols, I
would appreciate hearing them.

The natural flavorings, colorings, and even things like confectioner's
glazes, and apple pectins can be derived by using alcohols in the
processing.  Thus, protein fragments may remain in these items, creating
digestive problems for celiacs.  I have personally reacted to such alcohol
based flavorings, so from a celiacs point of view, I avoid them.  *IF*
whole protein molecules are actually still present, which refers to my
question above, they can become an issue for natural flavorings, colorings,
etc.  for wheat free folks, as well.   That is why I need to find out if
the vinegar and alcohols are a problem for wheat free folks.

What have your doctors told you about this? Have any of you actually
reacted (allergic reaction) to food items as result of vinegar or alcohol?

Thank you,

Joanne