From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:11:19 -0600

>I have a suggestion for a discussion topic.  Since school is about to
>begin, I would appreciate tips on what info. other "celiac families" have
>given to teachers to explain CD.

I will be sending a brochure to school with my young fellow that is produced
by the Canadian Celiac Association specifically for teacher information on
celiac disease.  I have also found out that I have a plus at his school in
the fact that the principal is celiac and many of the staffers are tuned in
to her diet from get-togethers, etc.  I will have at least one player in my
court that fully understands the diet, thank-heaven.  My son is only 3 and
attending due to extra speech requirements, so he is not able to fully
comprehend his diet let alone explain to teachers what it is.  As he is not
attending full-time I will not have to supply lunches yet but will be
interested in those types of topics, also
topics on how to cope with birthday parties, etc.

So far we have always been with Cody at any functions and therefore always
provided his food needs, much advance planning is required.

I also think the Cel-kids idea is grand.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada