From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 06:56:08 -0600

You can make your own baking powder:

  2 teaspoons baking soda
  1 teaspoon cream of tarter

Mix well. This makes one Tablespoon. It's a good idea to make a little
at a time since =all= baking powder begins to "go off" (start reacting)
as soon as it is mixed. The cornstarch in commercial powder helps cut
down on this reaction.

What baking powder does is add acidity that makes the baking soda part
react. If you already have acidic ingredients in what you're making
(e.g. buttermilk) you may not need the baking powder, just baking soda
should work (the baking soda reacts with acidic ingredients to form a
gas that makes things rise).

Most of my knowledge on this subject comes from books by Harold McGee
("On Food And Cooking" and "The Curious Cook") and from the bi-monthly
magazine, "Cooks Ingredients" which I recommend to you all.

     This recipe, like all my recipes, is copyright 1997 by Linda
     Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
     this recipe on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
     newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX USA