From:
Victor Mathieu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Mathieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:29:45 -0400

We are 2 in a family of eight who are diagnosed celiac through biopsy. My sister age 62 years has returned to Canada for a visit from New Guinea where she works as a missionary. While in Canada she was recently biopsied for celiac. Her GI doctor has told her that although she does not have celiac she will need to be observed closely. Considering the family history I wonder if someone with expertise could give me an explanation in common language about her biospy report which reads as follows. Also, would my sister benefit from going on the G/F diet at this time.

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION:

Sections show fragments of duodenum that include the mucosa and the submucosa with Bruner's glands. There is preservation of the villous architecture. There are no intraluminal protozoa. There is a marked increase in the number of intra epithelial lymphocytes particularly at the tips
of the villi. There are no associated degenerative changes.  These changes are nonspecific but may be associated with celiac disease.

Thank you so much for your help.

Victor, Timmins,Ontario.