From:
Nancy Weitzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:01:56 -0700

Hello- My son just had surgery on his foot and specifically told them
he had celiac, couldn't have any gluten in medication... and you guessed
it, the pain medication had a wheat starch which made him break out all
over with blisters (dh) and one on his foot under the cast was huge so
they had to cut off the cast and put another one on. Then they gave him
another prescription which again had gluten and caused more blisters.
They said they couldn't check every ingredient- but like my son told
them, if they knew he was allergic to aspirin or was diabetic,they
wouldn't give him aspirin filled medicine or sugar if he was diabetic.
Just a reminder to be watchful, and even then, it can still happen.
Thanks for listening
Nancy