From:
"Robert E. Miller Jr. 407-830-3275" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 07:45:59 -0500

    I received several requests for the answers to Zojirushi programming
    hints so I have consolidated the responses here:

    My Questions were:

    > Can anyone with a Zojirushi give me info on the settings that you
    > used to get a good loaf in less time?  I started a loaf of bread at
    > 9:00 on Saturday night and had to stay up until 12:40 in the morning
    > to get it out.

    > Also a question on GF bread in general.  Have you found that the
    > bread gets soggy if you let it cool in the machine?  I take mine out
    > immediately after cooking because water seems to accumulate inside
    > the loaf pan and I end up with soggy bread if I don't remove it.  My
    > wife makes wheat bread without this problem.

The responses were:

Hi Bob,

I asked the same question and got this answer from Linda Blanchard:
Subject: The Zo

Because I'm lazy and easily distracted <g> I do the following: Whenever the
Zo has two cycles, I "fast forward" through the first and let it run the
second all the way or until I catch it at a good moment.

It's been so long since I set up my Zo (and I can't put my hand on the
manual) that I'd have to guess at how I set it. Probably something like
this:

  Warming cycle (automatic length)
  Stir cycle (minimum I can catch it at, maybe one minute)
  Rise cycle (ditto)
  Second stir: 30 minutes
  Second rise: 50 minutes
  Bake: full time.

This way you only have to intervene at the earliest. If the second stir or
second rise goes full time, it's probably not going to hurt much.

Linda

I tried it with the above times except that I let the dough rise for 60 min
because it didn't seem to be fully risen after 50.  You actually are getting
rid of the first mixing and the first rising.  I also only let the bread bake
for 50 min.  I haven't ever left any GF bread in the machine for the cooling
cycle so I don't know if it gets soggy or not.  The one time I let wheat bread
cool in the machine it wasn't soggy but it was difficult to remove!

I forgot to say that I used Bette Hagman's White Bread recipe with the times
above.  Also, you might ask Zojirushi for their "Sprue Guru" pamphlet.

Hope this helps,
Jamie Harvey

*************

Dear Bob,

I am a new user of the Zojirushi machine (twice) and have found it makes
wonderful bread in 140 min. using Steve Rice's Authentic Foods bread mix
made with garbanzo and fava beans.  I set it on the medium crust,
white/whole grain setting and then put these steps into memory:

Knead 5 min.
Rest 60 min.
Bake 55 min.
Cool 20 min.

The booklet says to remove the loaf from the pan as soon as it completes the
cooling cycle.  Steve Rice also recommended that it sit for 4 hour before
you cut it to prevent sogginess.  This may be more effort than you are
looking for but I am a bread lover and find it's great and am also glad it's
so healthy.  Otherwise my daughter would end up eating rice everything.
Good luck!

Suzanne Weintraub

**************

Condensation on the inside of the bread/loaf pan is common with GF bread.
Remove within 5 -15 minutes, depending on how "soft" (moist) you want the
crust to become and your individual bread machine crust texture.  The sooner
you remove the bread, the crisper the crust will be.

Good Luck.   Carolyn Randall, Fairborn OH

I don't have a Zojirushi bread machine, so I can't help with the programming.
 I wanted to comment on the soggy bread issue, though.  My Red Star machine
warms the bread for 50 minutes after it is done baking.  I usually take it
out of the machine 10-15 minutes after it is done.  I remove it from the pan
and let it cool on a cake rack for 30 minutes before cutting.  I left it in
the pan once for several hours and when I came back, the bread was very
soggy.  I've never had a problem with this since I started removing it from
the pan fairly soon after it was done baking.  Just FYI. :-)

Yvonne M. Guerra