From:
Aileen Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aileen Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:35:15 -0400

Thanks for lots of great suggestions!

1) Outback steakhouse and Pf Changs in Denver (there are several Outbacks in
the Denver/Colorado Springs area-also near Holiday Inn Express), Wendy's all
have gf menu or food. The Bob Evan's people in our part of the country are
just super with this diet. You might want to go there for some of their
breakfasts, for many of them are gf.

2) Along with the chains, Noodles and Company has rice noodles with a
selection of sauces, Chipotle etc.. There are Maggiano's on 16th st downtown
and Wholly Tomatoes about 10th and Lincoln. The Blue Sky Cafe in Lakewood
(Denver west just off I-70) where you can get blue corn pancakes and a
gluten free bakery (www.debysglutenfree.net) due to open in July. Also try
the Denver chapter of the Celiac sprue assoc. They have gf restaurants
listed. Also, you can go to Wild Oats or Vitamin cottage and buy lots of
goodies.

3) We were in both cities last August and didn't really have any trouble in
any of the restaurants we visited to make meals with no gluten. Even in
Rocky Mountain National Park we had a good experience. Just make sure you
drink enough water!

4) Poppy's on main street in Estes Park is a friendly place to eat. They
have pizza and subs and salads (I know not the first place a celiac would
eat). However, I ate there quite often when I lived in Colorado and the
owner (I believe his name is Kevin) will do whatever it takes. They used to
make me crustless pizza and if I would call ahead he would bake french fries
on a clean pan.

5) Estes Park-much of the town is geared towards tourists so the food is not
all that good and there is little room for substitutions. Many of the
workers are foreign so there was an element of communication problems. The
only grocery store I saw was a Safeway and the only fast food was a
McDonalds and a DQ. I always pack lots of GF munchies for myself so that I
can always have something to snack on. I pack the Envirokids breakfast bars
for an emergency breakfast. I also pack GF pretzels for another munchie.
Regarding Boulder, Boulder is a very 'healthy' town if you don't count the
partying college students. I'm sure they have some good grocery stores for
GF food. Denver has Wild Oats, Whole Foods, and Vitamin Cottages all over
the town. Denver also has a large number of chain restaurants--PF Changs,
Outback Steakhouse, Lonestar Steakhouse. Check out the website for our local
chapter of CSA/USA (http://www.geocities.com/csadenver17/ click on
restaurants.

6)We stayed at the Eagles Nest, a bed and breakfast, in Estes Park several
years ago for our 20th anniversary. This was before I was diagnosed. The
owner was very accomodating about what we wanted for breakfast. I feel sure
if you told him ahead of time about your GF diet, he would find a way to
help you out. The rooms were lovely and we really liked it there. I would go
back in a heartbeat.

7) I live in Estes Park and last year called a bunch of restaurants for
someone travelling here and I also eat in some of them. There are a number
of restaurants I trust including:
-Mary's Lake Lodge Tavern and Dining Room on Mary's Lake Road. I go there
often
-Hunter's Chop House on Hwy 34
-Poppy's in Barlow Square on Elkhorn makes great pizza on a zucchini crust.
This is a favorite.
-Ed's Cantina on Elkhorn (main street) has some good mexican dishes.
-We have a small Safeway and you can buy some GF items including rice
noodles in the Asian section. There is a Vitamin Cottage in Longmont that
carries a huge range of GF items.

8) You may want to contact The Ruby Range. They are in Estes Park and could
probably give you some good information. http://www.therubyrange.com