From:
Caroline St-Pierre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caroline St-Pierre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:49:20 -0500

Hi all,

I am a diagnosed celiac. I strictly follow a gluten free diet buying flours and other products only from dedicated gluten free manufacturers.

I noticed that as years of GF eating go by, I become more and more sensitive to minute amounts of gluten. I am now at the point where I have gluten reaction after eating baked goods (no matter the company) made using GF flours. When I accidentally ingest hidden minute amounts of gluten, I develop a skin rash on the tip of my fingers (may or may not be DH related, I gave up trying to figure out what it is exactly). This eczema type reaction only occurs on my fingers and only after I have had a gluten accident.

I understand that only a handful of commercial size grain mills exist in North America, hence most gluten free flours have no choices but being milled in those grain mills used for regular flours. What are the regulation, if any, to ensure those few grain mills are indeed exempt from gluten ?

No GF food manufacturer can assure, unless they mill the grains themselves, that the flour used was not contaminated at some point during either milling or transport processes before arriving to them. Although I am confident they do their best to deal only with the safest GF flours producers.

When I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago I was told that being 100 percent gluten free is not possible given the way flour processing is done in north America (this was in a University hospital specialized on celiac disease). Traces amounts of gluten in GF flours did not seem to cause problems for me in the first 8 to 9 years following my diagnosis but I am seing definite reactions today.

Now, I am surprised to never (or very rarely) see comments as to the gluten free status of GF flours as it is at the very base of our every day menu.

I would really like to encourage companies producing GF flours that do not go through regular national grain mills. I would like to hear about your trusted GF flour sources, either because these companies own their own grain mill and only produce gluten free flours or because they can certify the absolute absence of gluten in their flours through milling and transport.

I am curious : Has anyone else been having these thoughts on currently available GF flours ? Has anyone else been having symptoms while being on as "strict" a gluten free diet as it is possible (to our knowledge) ?

Some people may say I have a non responsive (refractive) type of celiac disease. I would reply that this is certainly not the case since when I stop eating "gluten free flours" and only eat meat, fish, eggs and things that are naturally gluten free I feel great and my skin symptoms go away within a week.

Finally, there was a recent post on the new celiac pill, the publication stated that not all celiacs have healed digestive tracts after several years of gluten free eating. I can't help but think that if GF flours can eventually cause problems to some celiacs, this could explain why a digestive system does not heal completely.

only a thought,

Caroline

*******
*******