From:
REBECCA RICHARDSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:17:36 -0500

A few days ago, I asked the following question:

"In her post, Diana said: "Small amounts of gluten can build up over
amounts of time and cause damage and this is why a person should not eat
any amount no matter how small because it can cause refractory celiac,
lymphoma, auto-immune diseases like MS and lupus and many others. "
Although I was aware of some possible links between MS, lupus, and other
automimmune diseases and celiac, this is the first time I have seen a
suggestion that less-than-total compliance with the GF diet "causes" these
other diseases.  Can anyone comment on whether this is true?"

Most people who responded to my question indicated that while there is
strong evidence that untreated celiac can result in intenstinal lymphoma
and cancer, it does not "cause" other autoimmune disorders.  One person
said that gluten in the diet doesn't "cause" other autoimmune diseases,
but does keep the immune system "revved up" which can be a factor in
getting another auto immune disease.  Similarly, another person stated:

"Although I would not call gluten the cause of other autoimmune
diseases, exposure to gluten certainly seems to result in a higher
prevalence of them than would otherwise be expected. And the longer the
exposure to gluten, the greater the chances are of developing these
other disorders.  So there is a relationship between gluten and these
other diseases, but more research will need to be done to determine
exactly what is involved.  However, there is no question but that strict
adherence to the GF diet not only prevents the complications of celiac
disease, such as lymphoma and osteoporosis, but lessens the chances of
developing other autoimmune diseases. I base my comments on research
papers I have read on this subject.  I have never seen the statement
before about small amounts of gluten building up and causing damage. I
don't believe that this is the way it works.  Exposure to gluten starts
a process in the body whereby the immune system is activated to defend
itself. Along the way the villi are damaged. What does seem to be
unresolved is the amount of gluten that can trigger this process and
does this amount vary from individual to individual. I don't believe in
taking unnecessary chances with my health, so I do my best to avoid all
contact with gluten."