From:
Joyce Redman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Redman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 2009 10:24:54 -0400

Sorry that its taken me so long to provide a summary for the group. The following were ideas from people who have been to the Outer Banks, N.C.:

You can find great gluten free products, including items from Shabtai Gourmet Gluten Fee Bakery @  Health  A Rama
               3712 North Croatan Highway, KittyHawk , NC 27949  (252) 261-9919

      Andrew Itzkowitz
      Director of Sales & Marketing
      Cinderella Sweets Inc.
      Bakers of the Shabtai Gourmet Brand of Gluten Free Cakes & Cookies
      Mobile: (516) 652-5671
      www.cinderellasweets.com

      I had great success in Manteo. [Roanoke Island] The
      mexican restaurant made us great food (http://www.ortegaz.com/) and
      Full Moon Cafe was very good.  FMC is on the waterfront in Manteo.

      My husband and I like to get a  babysitter and spend the odd weekend at Tranquilty house at the
      waterfront in Manteo.  we've never eaten at their restaurant but it is
      considered to be the finest in Manteo and the chef told me that he
      could adapt everything to my needs (vegan, gluten free, dairy free)

      Personally, I enjoyed eating broiled seafood sampler at Kelly's located in Kill Devil Hills, but Mako Mikes, Flying Fish, and Penguine Isle restaurants also
      looked like good seafood choices too. But there are many restaurants to choose from if your goal is broiled seafood from the Outer Banks or Norfolk. I would avoide themed restaurants like Big Als on Roanoke Island, just really mediocre food in my opinion for the price. I could have had a better meal
      for maybe $5 more at one of the above restaurants. I also stopped and had a nice salad at a cafe market place in a shopping center that I
      don't remember the name of unfortunately.

      My recommendation to anyone going there is to Google for the Official Travel Guide for the Outer Banks from the Dare
      County Tourism Bureau and stop by there on your way to get to the Outer Banks for travel information. Very nice friendly
      people. The Travel Guide which can be viewed online or mailed to you provides long lists of things to see and do
      where to stay and eat at the Northern Beaches, Roanoke Island and Hatteras Island -- it is 100 miles of beaches, some
      public and private. There are lots of places to stay for all price ranges from $55 efficiencies  a night to houses up to $10,000 a week.
      My advice is to stay at least a week, make a family vacation to increase affordability and determine where you want to go and what to
      do and e-mail and call these places ahead of time. And have alternate plans for rainy weather. One day I went outside and it was 80 degrees and in
      an hour and half it rained and went down to 55 degrees! Roanoke Island saved me from boredom moping in a hotel and I got to learn
      a lot about the area at the Outer Banks History Center and liked the Elizabethan Gardens too.

      There is a 2% percent food tax in grocery stores, no boardwalk and dogs are welcomed at the beach on a leash.

      Joyce, Baltimore, MD

*******
*******