Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:42:19 -0500

Several years ago I made gluten free matzo balls that were wonderful by
simply substituting gluten free bread crumbs (which I purchased from Ener-G
Foods) for the matzo meal in the following Matzo Ball Recipe.  The bread
crumbs they sell are dry and the consistency of matzo meal...if you don't
have them, let some GF bread dry out and then put them in a food processor,
or as I did today, use GF croutons in a food processor.  I recommend this
recipe because I tried the "My Grandmothers Un-Matzo Balls" recipe which uses
ground almonds and it was so soupy that the batter didn't make anything that
resembled a "ball"...it either sunk or floated in a big gloppy mess...perhaps
the recipe wasn't printed correctly??

Anyway, here is the recipe I use...and it works!

4 eggs
4 tablespoons corn oil
4 tablespoons cold water or cold chicken soup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup GF breadcrumbs (dry, fine consistency)*
small bowl of ice water

In a bowl beat together the eggs and corn oil.  Beat in the water or chicken
soup, salt and white pepper.  Gradually add the breadcrumbs and blend
thoroughly.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Take a tablespoon full of mix,
dip you hands in ice water and quickly roll the mixture into a ball.  Drop
into boiling water, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
Test for doneness by cutting in half to see if its cooked through all the
way to center.

This recipe will make about 12-15.

*I added a little more bread crumbs until the consistency seemed firm enough.