From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:55:17 GMT

Beth Hillson a fellow celiac and the owner of the Gluten-Free Pantry
asked me to post the following statment.  Our List policy is to avoid
posts about products in which there is a direct financial relationship.

Those who have the opportunity to attend celiac conferences and meet our
GF specialty vendors understand their desire to assist and improve our
GF lifestyle.

--
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
One of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners

From: Beth Hillson

http://www.glutenfree.com

I would like to respond as follows:

The Gluten-Free Pantry makes every effort to address special diets of all
sorts as best we can.  We began as a company developing products for true
celiacs most of whom can have eggs and that's still what we do best.
However, as more and more people have come to us with multiple food
allergies, we have tried to address them.  Recently, we have had numerous
questions about egg substitutions and compiled a four-page list of
substitution recipes using flax seed, silken tofu, applesauce, fruit
purees and lecithin.  The downside of this is that many people with
multiple allergies are often allergic to one or more of the substitutes
as well.

Most of our products do say "lactose-free" and that means that a suitable
lactose free margarine and liquids will work well in the mix.  We use
"dairy-free" in a generic sense as applies to our Kosher Certification in
which we explain that the KVH-Dairy seal means only that some of our
products (run on the same line) contain milk.  Perhaps that is
misleading. The listings for our products in the catalog only specify
"lactose-free."

As for the various substitutes, our experience with milled ground flax
seed (available at the GF Pantry) is that it is a wonderful substitute
for eggs and also lightens the texture of our breads.  This is not an
endorsement for our products, by the way.  I only offer this to share
our research.  I use 2 Tbs. of ground milled flax seed soaked in 6 Tbs.
of warm water for every bread recipe. One Tbs. flax seed plus 3 Tbs. of
warm water equals one egg.   Since I can eat eggs, I use both together.
I also use 2 tsp of powdered lecithin in my bread recipes.  The
combination makes unbelievably tender bread--almost like what I remember
from gluten-filled years.  The nice thing about the milled, ground flax
seed is that it does not need to be cooked or ground.

We have also used silken tofu (pureed) in our cookie mixes and brownies
with wonderful results.

We have yet to develop a tasty eggless cake, however.  They all end up
flat as pancakes.  If someone has a recipe, we'd love to try it and will
gladly share it.

If anyone would like our chart of tested egg substitutions (most relate
to our mixes), we would be glad to mail them.  Just write to The
Gluten-Free Pantry, P.O. Box 840, Glastonbury, CT 06033-0840.  Please
send a self-addressed, stamped envelope and we'll send out a copy.

I also recommend that people with multiple allergies take a look at Carol
Fenster's new book on "Special Diet Solutions".  It provides alternatives
for eggs, corn, yeast, and much more.

Thank you for posting this for me.

Beth Hillson at the Gluten-Free Pantry