From:
Eve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:18:52 -0700
Many people asked me to summarize the answers as to what
specifi

Many people asked me to summarize the answers as to what
specific blood tests make up the celiac panel. I’m still not sure I have the
exact answer, as it seems the ‘panel’ might vary between doctors and labs. So
ask your doctor for the tests you might need.

Prometheus Labs offers a Celiac Serology and Celiac Plus.
The Celiac Serology includes:

— EMA (immunoglobin anti-endomysium)

— tTg (anti-tissue transglutaminase)

— AGA (IgA anti-gliadin antibodies)

— AGG (IgG anti-gliadin antibodies)

— total serum IgA antibodies

Their “Celiac Plus” panel includes the above tests, plus the
genetic test for DQ2/DQ8.

— I was told that previously the "celiac panel"
tested for TTG IgA antibodies, and the Anti-Gliadin IgG and IgA
antibodies.  Now, the antigliadin
antibodies are not routinely tested due to their low level of accuracy.  Therefore, the most important tests are the
TTG and the Total Serum IgA.  The
endomysial antibody test is used only if a person is IgA deficient.

— Also, someone sent me this note:

There are a total of 6 tests that can be run for Celiac
disease.
(1)  Anti-Gliadin
(AGA) IgA
(2)  Anti-Gliadin
(AGA) IgG
(3)  Anti-Tissue
Transglutaminase (tTg) IgA (Dr. Fasano has stated this  test  is most important at this time,         and is much cheaper to perform and read.  It should run around $70.00, compared to the full Celiac panel, which
runs between $600-$700).
(4)  Total serum IgA
(5)  Anti-Tissue
Transglutaminase (tTg) IgG
(6)  Endomesial
Antibody (EMA) IgA

The tests with IgA test for the IgA antibody in the
system.
The IgG tests test for IgG antibodies in the system.
The most indicative tests of Celiac are the tTg-IgA(number 3
above) and the EMA(number 6 above).
What is often referred to as the “Celiac Disease
Panel”consistes of the first 4 tests above.
These are the “standard” tests that should always be run to
test for Celiac disease.
Number 4-Total Serum IgA is critical to include.  This will tell you if the body is able to
produce IgA antibodies.
Some people(10% of the population) can’t produce the IgA
antibodies and are considered IgA deficient.
If you cannot produce IgA antibodies, the IgA tests above(#
1, 3 and 6) will not come back positive for
Celiac disease, even if you have Celiac disease.  Therefore, you have to reply on the IgG
numbers.
They usually only run #5 if Total Serum IgA indicates a
deficiency and /or if the AGA IgG(#2 above)
is the only one that is abnormally high.
The EMA(#6) is very sensitive for CD.  However, it is a test that is more difficult
to read;
meaning that you have to have an experienced lab tech
reading the results or there could be an error.
The tTg-IgA test is more “idiot proof” in the lab and
cheaper to do, so it has become more of the standard instead of the EMA.

Please check with your insurance carrier beforehand to see
if  procedures are covered, as many will
be out of  pocket expenses for you and
your family!

— Also, CDF has an new "awareness" brochure online
at www.celiac.org that lists tests in the panel.