From:
Danna Korn, Raising Our Celiac Kids <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 07:35:58 -0700

Hi, group:

There was some debate about Nestle's Butterscotch Morsels.  The person
on the phone told me they were not GF because they had whey.  I informed
her that whey does not contain gluten, so she said, "Oh, then they're
not GF because they have coconut oil."  (Again, obviously, not
containing gluten.) I worked my way up the ladder and finally got this
disappointing-but-probably-more-accurate response from Linda Yorkonis at

Dear Mrs. Korn,
Thank you for contacting us.

Our Nestle Toll House Butterscotch Morsels are not gluten free because the
flavors contain extracts from malted barley. We appreciate the opportunity
to be of service to you and hope your inquiry was handled to your
satisfaction.

I've written a letter thanking them for the information and asking for more
specific labeling.  Maybe others can do the same!

Danna