From:
Carol Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:10:48 -0500

For my 1st attempt at saltine cracker baking, I used:
1 cup precooked white cornmeal...found in flour area of mexican groceries,
or perhaps the ethnic section of some groceries.
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup corn starch
 (for the replacement  2 cups of GF flour)
 The dough soaks up the moisture quite well. I refrigerated the mixed dough
for about 30 mins. Then made one inch dough balls, smashed them with a flat
bottomed glass covered with plastic wrap (the wrap allows the dough to
release). I sprinkled them with sea salt and then pricked them with a fork
several times. I baked them on 350 degrees instead of 400, because these
flours seem to brown at lower temps than wheat. After 5-10 mins, when the
edges were light brown, I turned the oven down to 200 degrees. I baked them
for another 30 mins. Then turned the oven off and allowed them to stay in
the oven about an hour (to dry more as they cooled).
They have a light corn flavor. Not flaky but dense in texture. Very crunchy.
I liked them. They do not taste like saltines.(bummer). They were simple
enough to make again sometime.
Carol

In case you misplaced the recipe:
Here is the simplest recipe sent to me:

Soda Crackers

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

2 Cups Flour (Replace with GF flour blend)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Sour Milk
1 Large Egg

Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a bowl. Cut in the butter
until very fine. Add the milk and egg and mix to make a stiff dough.
Kneed thoroughly, and then roll the dough very thin. Cut into squares or
rounds and place on lightly buttered cookie sheets. Prick the crackers
with a fork and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes
or until very lightly browned. If desired, crackers may be sprinkled
with coarse salt.