From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:36:53 -0500

I received 10 responses to my posting.

Several commented on my 15 pound weight gain after 1 year on the GF Diet, indicating that it was normal.

Several suggested WEB sites that contained helpful information for Celiac patients.

Several commented on GF travel, including:

When I eat out - especially while traveling - I stick to basics -
meat, salad with oil/vinegar, veggies, potatoes. I don't make eating the
highlight of the vacation. But I also don't quiz the restaurant about every
little detail. Take some Immodium AD, some Pepto Bismol and lots of snack
foods (raisins, gf pretzels, dry soup mixes, etc.), but enjoy the experience

I find the south of the US the hardest place to eat, and the area of Greece and Turkey the
easiest.  In northern Italy they do great things with rice

I just came back from a wonderful and successful GF trip to Spain. I was VERY
nervous about this-- it was my first out of the country trip since my
diagnosis. But now that I am back I have a renewed confidence in my ability
to travel. Even without the language skills, I found I had no problem
communicating and that people were very helpful.

Re travel to Bermuda, If you stay at the Sonesta Beach resort e-mail the main chef and he'll set
you up!!  He did it for me!

My trip to Bermuda is on http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/bermuda2001.txt