Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:38:24 +1100

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I have gone back on gluten and
will have the blood test in a couple of weeks.  I decided to do this to
know whether I am a cancer risk if I eat gluten accidently or
otherwise.  I do feel generally tired, nauseated and bloated on the
gluten - and even hungrier!  I have shortness of breath ...

One of the aspects for me is taking the eucharist bread.  If I am gluten
intolerant it seems reasonable to eat the bread but if I am a celiac
then I don't want to eat the smallest amount of wheat etc.

I appreciate all your caring and advice.  Sorry I was late in replying
and hope this summary is OK.

Regards
Sandra

Dr. Kenneth Fine ...can detect the antibodies in the stool even when a
person has been gluten-free for several weeks.  He can also do a DNA
test to see if you are a prime candidate.  The number for his lab is 972-
686-6869 (Dallas, Texas).  He has two web sites: www.enterolab.com and
www.finerhealth.com.

The blood test will not be accurate unless you have been eating gluten.

My advice: stay out of gluten and live happy, pain free life.

You will probably get false negatives. But the problem you have with
gluten, plus the anemia (celiacs don't assimilate folic acid and so need
supplements there), plus the lactose intolerance suggests celiac, since
most new celiacs are lactose intolerant for the first year or two.

The "gold" test is the endoscopic biopsy.  But the blood test does show
some direction and probability for further testing if the readings are
irregular.

If your blood test comes back negative, I would have myself tested for
food allergies by Better Health U.S.A. www.betterhealthusa.com.

I would see a Dermatologist.  You might have DH which is a skin reaction
to gluten.  The biopsy for that is easier than the biopsy for celiac.

While the test would work better if you ate wheat, small amounts may do.

You'll most likely get a fasle negative result.  You have to be eating
wheat for at least 2-3 weeks for testing to be accurate.

Many of your symptoms resemble those seen with mastocytosis - a rare
disease.

My personal decision was to take the diagnosis of delayed allergic
reactions, or gluten intolerance, as evidenced by IGg blood testing, as
enough.  The alternative was to eat enough of the stuff to make myself
sick enough so that someone else could say "Hey, that stuff makes you
sick."  I just wasn't up to it.