From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:05:13 -0500

After watching "Food Factory USA" (FYIHD channel) I learned that mushrooms
are grown in wheat substrate.  Below are the replies I received when I
asked if anyone had knowledge of the possible cross-contamination we may be
faced with:

1. Information from Gluten Free Living magazine on the very unlikely risk
associated with mushrooms.

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free-foods/gluten-free-nutrition/gluten-questions-and-answers/mushrooms/

In addition, Gluten Free Watchdog tested mushrooms a couple of years ago.
Reports are available to subscribers on the Gluten Free Watchdog website.

And this with information from the mushroom council who did ELISA testing
of unwashed mushrooms.

http://www.glutenfreeschool.com/2013/04/22/mushrooms-test-negative-for-gluten/

2. The grower I spoke with grows exclusively on wheat chaff. That concerned
me, so I started with tiny nibbles and discovered that I could eat his
mushrooms with impunity.  No problem.  So I would tend to agree with those
who say that mushrooms grown on wheat and barley do not pose a risk for
those of us who are gluten-intolerant..

3. My late wife, who was a super sensitive coeliac, reacted to mushrooms.
She could tell an oncoming reaction within 15 to 20 minutes of ingesting
gluten and it was her belief that mushrooms gave her the symptoms.
She particularly watched for it after eating only mushrooms, to make sure,
as
mushrooms were her favourite treat

4. When any living organism (a mushroom for example) takes in a nutrient
that nutrient is totally converted to mushroom and no longer has any
identifiable attributes of the original nutrient. Therefore no gluten
remains.

5. This article may interest you. Mushrooms were tested.
http://www.glutenfreeschool.com/2013/04/22/mushrooms-test-negative-for-gluten/

6. Six others wrote to say that they wash their mushrooms before they eat
them with no ill effects.

Since chefs agree that washing mushrooms is not recommended because they
absorb water like a sponge and lose their taste, wouldn't the same be true
that the mushrooms would absorb wheat residue in the substrate?  This could
explain why two other replies stated they get gluten symptoms from eating
mushrooms.