Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:38:44 -0500

(Note:  I've put trademarked names in quotes.) In an earlier Summary of
this subject, I relayed the recommendation from one of the replies of
MeadJohnson's "Sustacal" as GF with no canola and no lactose..  From the
company's website <http://www.meadjohnson.com/products/> I confirmed
this.  By e-mail, they told me that they were going to market "Sustacal"
henceforth under the "Boost" label.   I used  and liked "Sustacal
Plus".  I later used the DrugEmporium promotion to mail order
"BoostPlus" but they sent instead "Boost" regular.  I was non-plussed.
It had a New Taste banner on its label.  I thereupon posted a message
saying that while "Sustacal" had no canola this new "Boost" did list it.
Someone then let me know that  "BoostPlus" had no canola but plain
"Boost" (unlike plain "Sustacal") did.  From the MJ website, I found
that it was "Boost High Protein" that substituted for "SustacalPlus" not
the regular "Boost".

Another reply suggested looking at  "Criticare" and "Sustagen," also
MeadJohnson products and "Vivonex.".  "Criticare" is recommended for
inflammatory bowel disease and  non-specific malabsorptive/maldigestive
states, among other conditions.   (There is an Abbott (Ross) product for
the same purposes, but in addition to being big-time canola, it also
derives one of its ingredients from sardine oil and therefore might have
me calling 911 if I swallowed any).  "VivonexPlus" I  can't tell you
about because the Novartis site was a maze I couldn't master.

MeadJohnson, Abbott, and others each have an extensive line of  enteral
nutritional supplements for specific uses.   All who can should use
professional help for navigating these products.

My question seems to be elevating concern about canola.  It was not my
intention to do so. Some more knowledgeable heads than mine seem to less
persuaded by the case for our avoiding it than this lay person was.