From:
Susan GUETTER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan GUETTER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:05:01 -0600

Thank you listmates for all your help.  This is what my friends in Switzerland received for information from you, it is greatly appreciated: You could have some gluten free mixes sent to your hotel or where you will
first be staying and then take them with you along the way in case. See the
cookbook with camping recipes. The pizza mix is easy to make. With a bowl
and spoon you can make it 2 hours before you arrive at a restaurant, give
the dough to the chef and ask to have it baked on a parchment paper to avoid
cross contamination. I'm sure there are lots of places to eat, just when in
a pinch and travelling, I find it is nice to have something in reserve.
See website at www.astoriamills.ca   Now all food labels in the U.S.  MUST include :  milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybeans.  We are worried about 90-95% wheat.That makes reading food labels in the U.S. a lot easier. (There is no standard definition for “gluten free” yet)   I am attaching a page of our chapter dining restrictions cards. Copy 2 sides on one sheet.  Make a lot of copies, or laminate some to keep with you. More chefs are aware of gluten free and how to modify for “allergies”.   I say to managers:  I am ALLERGIC to wheat, flour, bread, breading, pasta and soy sauce.” They seem to know more about allergies, rather than celiac disease.
We have reviews for many of the places you mention below on our website,
GlutenFreeTravelSite ( http://www.glutenfreetravelsite.com ), which is a
website containing thousands of user-submitted GF dining and travel reviews,
searchable by location.

Simply visit our Search/Mapping page (
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/maps/map-locator.php ) and enter a city,
town, or zip code into the Search Box. You'll get a list of restaurants and
other businesses that have been reviewed. Click on any business to see it
highlighted on the map and to link to the user-submitted review.  We traveled in northern Arizona a few years ago. Moment Valley--there is nothing. Take a picnic. There is a cafe of some sort at the headquarters but we found nothing there that our Celiac son could eat, but we always travel with a cooler, cold cuts, chips, fruit and juices and we get by.

You CAN find GF options IN the Grand Canyon. Nothing spectacular but if you don't mind a bunless burger, you should be okay. We only ate at two places and found options in both; the rest of the time, we picnicked.

The other towns you mentioned are really pretty small. You are best to find a Whole Foods store in/around Las Vegas and stock up if having bread, cookies, crackers, etc. are important to you. (There a lots of GF "energy" bars these days and those could come in handy for you.) You'll find luncheon meat (many are GF), chips, fruit at any grocery store.

Wish I could be of greater help to you. Hopefully you will have a wonderful time. Eating GF is not all that difficult in the US. When we went to Australia in 2004, we were stunned to find that all burgers except McDonalds had fillers in them. Here in the US, you will be hard pressed to find a burger that isn't all meat. We just don't use fillers here.  Sue in SE Arizona

*******
*******