From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 12:39:36 -0400

>Here is Don Wiss's post re Diabetics being helped by a gf diet.
>
>> But there is a diet connection for diabetes.

I am concerned about the apparent implication (unless I have
misunderstood the quote of Don Wiss's post) that diabetes (even Type 1)
is caused by eating gluten. The obvious implication would be that eating
GF would eliminate the need for medications. If there is any medical
evidence (supported by formal studies and/or multiple sources) for this,
please post this directly.

Several posts over the last few days have expressed concern about
unsubstantiated claims about CD or the gf status of foods. This post
sounds just as dangerous to diabetics. The claim that diabetics can
"cure" or eliminate their diabetes through diet alone has been around
for many years. Diabetics who do not properly treat their disease face
horrible complications--loss of eyesight or limbs, or even death.
Although some diabetics CAN treat their disease solely through diet and
exercise, many of the rest of us would quickly die without insulin
injections.

Please take as much care when referring to other diseases as is expected
for CD and the gf status of food.

Carl in Boise, ID