From:
Lee Sawyer/commsoft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:31:05 -0500

Especially in light of recent posts about labeling, I thought that the list
might be interested in the results of my recent contacts with Gerber and
Beechnut (I have one child with celiac, and because of that had been
advised to avoid introducing gluten to younger children until they are at
least a year old).

Three years ago, Gerber had never heard of celiac or gluten, but did send
me their wheat allergy list.  Yesterday when I called, they told me that
they would send their "gluten list" but their new products weren't on it
yet as they were still making sure that the list would be completely
accurate.  The representative knew what celiac disease was, and what foods
were not allowed.  She also asked if my child could tolerate rice, as they
had an additional list for that.

Three years ago, Beechnut already had a list of gluten free products.  When
I called this time, they not only volunteered to send it to me, but
commented on the fact that each product is produced on separate lines to
prevent cross contamination, and that if for some reason two products are
made on the same line, the line is cleaned thoroughly between - again to
prevent contamination.  They also stated that every single ingredient in
their foods is listed - that they do not believe any ingredient is too
insignificant to list.The representative for this company was aware of
celiac disease, and knew what foods must be completely avoided.

I was pleased at the responses I got, and the baby food industry's
increasing understanding.  Please note, this information was obtained for
USA products only - I did not ask about products distributed
internationally ( I called the 800 numbers on the jar labels).

I have no interest in either company, other than as a source of infant
food.