From:
SANDRA P FOURNIER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:40:01 -0400

Hello Listmates,
  First of all many thanks to all who responded.  I received 27 responses
to my dual questions, some to one or the other, others to both.  Special
thanks to those who wished my husband luck, it touched me deeply.

  Many people said that they experience hot flashes to one degree or
another when ingesting gluten.  It appears that it is not unusual at all.
It appears that a ten-year mystery has been solved.  I'm sure I never would
have figured it out if not for the gluten challenge.  I tend not to get
symptoms until I've ingested gluten for quite awhile.  I guess this is both
good and bad.  I don't suffer for an accident, but I also don't know if I
have eaten gluten.  One person suggested that yeast may be involved in the
hot flashes, I will try to figure that out after this challenge is over.  I
can see that it's a real possibility.  I haven't found a GF bread that I
like yet, so when GF, I just don't eat much bread.  I don't miss it as much
as some other things, but have gotten a couple of recipes that I will try
post-challenge.  One person told me of a GI Dr. that hot flashes and night
sweats can be signs of lymphoma, and I intend to ask the Dr. about that
when I see him.  It's certainly something to ponder, definitely worth
investigating, obviously something that needs to be caught early.

  The overwhelming consensus on the donut shop job was that after inhaling
things, some inevitably gets swallowed.  This makes perfect sense to me, I
just wish I had figured it out for myself, instead of having to bother you
fine people.  It actually took me a few days to realize that it could be a
problem.  I'm slow, I know, but I get there eventually...

  Again, thank you to all who helped, I have learned so much from this List
that I never knew before.  It's just an amazing phenomenon!

Best,

Sandi Fournier