From:
John Babcock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Babcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 15:37:52 -0600

I've been receiving celiac listserv for quite awhile now and I understand that people having troubles are more likely to chime in.  But after reading all the info that comes through I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who doesn't know when or if they've eaten gluten because they don't really get much reaction.
I was biopsy diagnosed in 2007 after suffering for months with DH.  I never had significant digestive symptoms.  My DH disappeared after I had been gluten-free for about 8 months.  Since then I've been mostly careful but I do eat out at some questionable establishments and don't make any effort to find out about "flavorings" or any of the suspect minor ingredients in processed foods.
The only time I ever saw the gastroenterologist was when I got the endoscopy.  I still go to the dermatologist who misdiagnosed my DH as shingles.  I never got a DH biopsy done because there seemed no point after the intestinal.
My rheumatologist did the original blood tests and gastro referral and I ask her to do annual celiac blood tests although she knows nothing about them.  I have never gone into the totally "clean" tTG range but I haven't gotten DH again.
Are there any others out there who can be (an estimated)  98% GF and feel OK?
Also, do any of you feel that your doctors really aren't that knowledgable about celiac?  If so, do you try to educate them, shop around, or just figure it out yourself?

Jeanne