From:
Joanne Forestell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:06:00 EST

My apologies for the lateness of this summary!  I received six replies which
are listed below:

"I understand Del Monte is safe."

"I've bought organic canned peaches at Fresh Fields/whole foods.  My daughter
had no problems with them and in fact, loved them."

"My Tri-County Celiac Sprue Support Group shopping guide says that all of Del
Monte's canned fruit are gluten-free, including the fruit cups.  In addition,
it lists that Hunt's fruit cocktail, peach halves and peach slices are gf."

"I buy Libby's lite fruit cups for my kids.  Only a couple of fruits, some
juice, possibly water.  No artificial coloring  (i.e., no cherries), no corn
syrup.  Look for canned fruits that are only the fruit and water or their own
juices."

One person said that they had called Del-Monte several months ago and the
representative assured them that all of their canned fruits were gf.  This
individual also avoids items like fruit cocktail in case there may be
something in the dye used in the cherries and fruit with seasoned juice.

Another stated he has been lucky with canned fruit just by following the label
but avoids fruit packed in syrup because sweets have a tendency to set things
off.  He also state having reactions to fruits with a lot of acid, such as
pineapple.

I hope this helps those of you who may be having similar problems with canned
fruit.  I'm going to give Del Monte products a try.

Thanks to all who were kind enough to take the time to answer my question!

Joanne/Delaware