From:
Julianne Karow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:27:28 -0500

I wanted to THANK everyone who wrote me and gave me incredible ideas.  Thank you, Julianne

Email 1:

We, too, are going to a party, and I'm making chicken wings and a Chex mix so my son (our Celiac) will have something to eat without making an issue (altho' everyone there knows him well and knows of his diet). You can find all kinds of recipes for chicken wings (BBQ, sweet and sour, etc.) and you can make them all GF if they aren't already. For the Chex mix, I just follow one of their recipes with a few substitutes (GF pretzels, some GF cereals that my son doesn't really like but they do fine in a mix like that). General Mills even has GF mix recipes on their website. http://www.chex.com/Recipes/CategoryView.aspx?CategoryId=447
 Have fun and.....  Go Cards!    Okay, I HAD to say that. ;-)
 Joy in Arizona

Email 2:

I get pepperoni sticks from a local butcher ... they are made onsite and far better than the commercial ones.
Actually a lot of people like pepperoni sticks so you have to bring enough! They have jaegerwurst too, which I love. I've also just brought packages of sliced lunch meat ... something yummy like pastrami.

A big jar of roasted nuts from Costco is great. And of course now you can make Chex mix.

Costco also sells big platters of fruit, vegies, or shrimp that are great to take to any occasion. I don't know what
the danger is of contamination but I've been ok with them.

If you can do dairy, a g
ood round of cheese, sliced, is a great thing. Just bring your own crackers to go with it. You could also make some of that hot artichoke heart dip that everyone seems to like.

Crunchmaster rice crackers go over well with everyone too. Mary's gone crackers too, for a healthier alternative.

Email 3:

Delicious cheese/sausage dip--On stovetop, slowly melt two blocks of cream cheese, then add 1 can original Ro-tel, one "tube" of mild sausage (Browned and Drained). Serve hot or warm with gluten free tortilla chips.

Email 4:

Since rice chex are now gf, what about making chex mix using that and gf pretzels?  I haven't made it in years, but I bet the recipe is on-line.

Or if you need more of a meal idea, make chili ahead of time at home and take it to the party in a crockpot with corn chips on the side.

Good luck, lynn

Email 5:

deviled eggs...just cut hardboiled eggs in half, scoop out the yellow, mix it with very small amounts of mustard, mayo, vinegar, Old bay seasoning. Mash it well, and put the yellow mixture back in spoonfuls on the white halves. sprinkle with parsley flakes and paprika or Old Bay as garnish.

salami (I use Hebrew National) or any gf cold cuts, wrapped around a slice of pickle, skewered with toothpick

great dip...brick of Neufchatel or cream cheese, about half a jar of salsa, corn niblets (drained), diced black olives. Mix well. There is no real recipe for this. Serve with corn
chips.

Lipton Onion Soup mix. One envelope in a pint of sour cream (fat free is fine). Note: Kosher Lipton Onion Soup Mix is definitely not gluten-free, but I've found nothing wrong with typical Liptons from regular supermarket. Serve with potato chips.

Cut boneless chicken breasts into strips. Dip in French salad dressing. Bread in crushed gf corn flakes. Bake. I find it sticks to the baking pan, so spray the pan (or aluminum foil lining with spray oil.
Can also use barbecue sauce. I read that chicken wings are dipped in flour before barbecue sauce, so try that.

If this group will appreciate lox, which has gotten tremendously expensive (so I make my own gravadlax now), then lay slices of lox out flat, fill with a little cream cheese or Neufchatel, roll up. Slice into rolls and skewer with toothpick. Or use gf crackers with a little cream cheese or Neufchatel, put a small piece of lox on top.

I made a delicious London Broil this week. Marinated in Italian dressing, then broiled. I'd bet that if you use barbecue sauce instead of Italian dressing...which is great anyway, and then thinly slice the meat (cooked to medium, but not more), and skewered it on sticks from a kitchen store, and serve it with more barbecue sauce, I think it would be delicious. I'm going to do this when we go sailing this summer. I've been to weddings where the skewered London Broil was served cold, so why not.

I make mock crab cakes (I keep kosher...no shel
lfish) with baked (not overcooked) cod fish cut into chunks when cooked, an egg, a little mayo and lots of Old Bay and a handful of gf cracker crumbs (I use the Glutino brand that look like Ritz crackers). I either bake or or quickly deep fry them. I mix mayo with a little mustard as the sauce. While I wouldn't want them served out of the frig, I can't see why room temperature wouldn't work....just not overnight. Typically, they'd be stored in the frig. I would hesitate to freeze them, because I usually don't freeze stuff with mayo in it.

You can always bring potato salad and/or cole slaw. I make my own.
Cole slaw....mayo, vinegar, mustard, sugar, sliced cabbage, shredded carrots, a little diced onion.
Potato salad...cooked, cubed red bliss potatoes (or any other)...I leave the skin on if using red bliss, diced onion, diced apple, maybe carrots and celery, maybe red or green peppers, salt, pepper, mayo, vinegar, mustard.

Nachos.....chips, topped with melted cheese and salsa.

For those on a diet
Fruit salad....if diced up, sprinkle with fresh lemon juice to keep fruit from coloring. I'm still seeing watermelon around, although it's out of season. If you can find it, you can make a watermelon basket with fresh fruit inside.

Celery stalks filled with Neufchatel cheese (fat free cream cheese)
Obviously....crudités....veggies and dip. I cheat when I'm doing this for a cocktail party on our boats, when we're rafted up. I slice all of the veggie
s ahead of time and bag them. I use store-bought salad dressing for the dip. Marie's...in the cold section of the produce aisle, is typically good for a dip, if you don't have to worry about it being warm.

Email 6:

I love this Fig and Avocado Salsa for parties _ http://aglutenfreeguide.com/healthy-fig-and-avocado-salsa-recipe.html
or this Garlicy Bean Dip http://aglutenfreeguide.com/gluten-free-bean-spread.html
Just watch out for cross-contamination - take lots of gluten-free dippables - corn chips, crudite etc...

Email 7:

You could bring a large platter of crudite', with fruits, veggies, cheeses, olives, nuts etc., and gf crackers.  I always do this, so if all else fails, I know I won't starve lol.  I also usually make a gf cheesecake to tide me over.  Everything I know, in terms of entrees, would have to be reheated, with the possible exception of chicken wings.