From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 23:46:37 -0500

>She went through all the do's and don'ts but, in particular, said that it
>was very lilkely that after my system had settled
>down from being on a GF diet, I would possibly find I also had secondary
>allergies and that after a few months I may find
>that I would have to start looking at other foods.

>She placed me on a restrictive dietin food groups to assess each type.  We
>ended finding I was reacting to bananas and most
>nuts - in particular, hazel and brazil.
>
>Her explanation (I never queried it so it may have been an 'excuse') was
>that these particular food groups were high in
>amines and that, in her experience, it was not unusual for someone with my
>allergy to also react to these.
>
>As it stands now (9 years later) I still react very strongly to bananas
>(although dried bananas are not as bad) and can
>tolerate nuts (I often use these to munch on during long car trips between
>Melbourne and Sydney).

I have had an occassional sensitivity to nuts and fruits but doubt it is an
allergy because many times they do not bother me.   Because at the times
that they DO bother me I also have symptoms of yeast overgrowths, I suspect
that the reason they do is because they serve as a good growth medium for
the yeast.      Anti-yeast measures and a period of avoidance seems to end
the problem.

Of course it's possible that the problem might be something that has been
added (or growing on) a particular batch of nuts/bananas/whatever.

Just something to consider.

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC