From:
Karen A. Van Dahlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 09:38:18 -0700

    The way things are going, I'm sure they'll find a way to genetically
modify oats, corn, and rice with wheat genes and we won't have to worry
about eating any grains again. ; ) But seriously folks, my sister, who's
had negative blood test results for CD, has problems with oats. They go
through her like water. When I used to eat them I'd get a hypoglycemic
reaction 3 hours later.

    On a side note, my sis has classic migraines, multiple respiratory
allergy symptoms, an episode of "ideopathic" rapid heart beat, and frequent
gastro problems. Afew years ago, she had episode of her right side going
numb and had an MRI that should tiny spots in the brain that the neuro said
were nothing to worry about. She was on tegretol for a while but has had no
"spells" for a while. I think that improved because I had just been
diagnosed and the entire family went GF at dinner time to accommodate me.(I
know they're great folks).

    I have restless leg syndrome amd recently she's been having "jumpy legs"
at night. It gets worse for her when her boyfriend's in town and they go out
and eat everything under the sun.

    I recently had genetic testing done and I carry genetic markers for CD,
microscopic colitis, and "other autoimmune disorders".  Our mom died from
complications of diabetes and had "nervous colitis", her mom had chronic
constipation, thyroid disease, and died from colon-liver cancer.
    Any advice or input on how to convince my sis to get more extensive
testing or at least go GF?

Karen