From:
Kitchen Drudge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitchen Drudge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:13:26 -0500
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Here is a summary of the replies I got to my question about Boston Market
take out for Thanksgiving Dinner. Note that some of these replies are
talking about food eaten in the restaurant, not takeout.

~~~~~
I contacted them once through their WEB site and they provided a Gluten
free listing.

http://www.bostonmarket.com

My wife and I eat there.  I can get Gluten free food, and my wife
because they are all Smoke Free. (She has Asthma).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, I eat there on a regular basis. They have a gf list if you call.
The
chicken and turkey are gf.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's fine as long as you stay away from the obvious, e.g. corn bread,
stuffing, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have eaten at Boston Market and did use their catering service for a
Christmas banquet(successfully) the first year after I was dxed with celiac
disease.  My experience is that they are unreliable and the gluten-free
status is solely based upon the persons working the ordering and in the
kitchen filling the order.  I had great success there at first, when a
manager was working there who cared that I had a digestive illness and went
out of her way to make sure the food was not contaminated.  But, even tho we
went there often and often brought other people with us, when that person
left the establishment, the remainder of employees at that Boston Market
seemed to actually go out of their way to make me ill, even tho they were
quite aware of my situation.  I concluded that they really just didn't want
the added burden of making my plate from food from the kitchen rather than
on the cafeteria style buffet.  As a result, I have complied with their
wishes and no longer frequent their establishment.  I think that getting a
take out catering order might be a bit safer, but I still consider it
unreliable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The two celiacs at our house got stomach aches from a supposedly GF Boston
Market meal, and the food was lousy, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We live in Kansas City, and I will occasionally order take out from Boston
Market.  I have rarely had any problems with their food that I know is
gluten free. I am fairly sensitive, and have not had trouble with either
potato dishes, the veggies, or the apples.  I usually order the chicken,
just prefer it over turkey.  The only time I've had any trouble was the last
meal I got, they messed up and put the cornbread on my plate, so I had to
ask for another plate.  I am always very specific about the cornbread, but
the person taking my order just spaced it off.  I'd be ok with the meal
coming from there, and it would probably be less stressful for your host if
s/he isn't totally comfortable cooking for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have - they had an ingredients list, on plastic-covered cards.
They answered questions ..
This was a few years back.
Some restaurants were more coooperative than others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would suggest you to ask your question at the Delphi CD Forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, doctors included.
Moreover, I have posted thousands of GF recipes, among them my "Best of
Mireille":  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, there are several things you can eat there, including the chicken.  I
believe you'll find a listing in the archives or at Celiac Disease On-Line
Support Group

Look under their GF product listing for restaurants or fast food.  Can't
remember which.  If all else fails, e-mail me back and I'll download it from
my PDA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
According to Clan Thompson, the following are GF:
Boston Market Butternut Squash
Boston Market Cranberry Relish
Boston Market Creamed Spinach or Brocolli w/Hollandaise sauce (seasonal)
Boston Market Fruit Salad
Boston Market Jumping Juice Squares
Boston Market Lemon Herb Rotisserie Chicken (seasonal)
Boston Market Mashed Potatoes
Boston Market Rotisserie Chicken Breast
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My experience with them is excellent. You can call for info, don't know
if it is
available at individual stores. Broiled chicken, ham, sliced turkey are
good for
me- with mixed veg., apples, red potatos.
Of course- avoid gravy, noodles, etc. Curiously- they use to say their
mashed
potatos were off limits. I think they've changed that..

This may be just be my experience, but Boston Market is a huge NO in my
gluten free world. I have had several horrible experiences at more than
one location and when going there with others now, all I will get is a
drink. They re-use the same spoons on different food products- hello,
cross contamination and, I found that even if you tell them no corn
bread, they still put it on the plate touching your other food. Around
the holiday I would also anticipate a lot more activity and less caution
as they need to work more quickly, so bottom line, be careful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spoke with Randy at 800-365-7000 (Guest Relations for Boston Market).  He
gave me the following list of items that are gluten free:

Butternut Squash
Rotisserie Chicken
Cranberry Relish
Creamed Spinach
Fruit Salad
Plain Grilled Chicken Breast
Mashed Potatoes

The following items contain mono and diglycerides from an unknown source,
but are otherwise gluten free.  If you are concerned about the mono and
diglycerides, you should not eat these items:

Whole Kernel Corn
Green Beans
Hot Cinnamon Apples
Garlic/Dill New Potatoes
Rotisserie Turkey Breast

I've eaten at Boston Market a couple times in the past, each time following
the advice of what is gluten-free and what's not.  Every single time I ate
there, I wound up sick.  I will never eat there again.  It might be
cross-contamination in the kitchen or prep area but no matter what I've
asked of the kitchen staff, I still wind up sick.  What a bummer, too, as
the food tasted so good!

~~~~~~~~~

It turns out we're not using Boston Market after all, as our travel plans
have changed. I'm really not sure what we would have decided!

Kitchen Drudge
Chief Cook for two Celiacs in the Atlanta metro area