From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:18:35 -0400

Since going gf 20 months ago I have found the following have helped make
breadmaking better, quicker and easier.

I hate to mess around with all the ingredients every time I bake and
since I am usually in a hurry whenever I have to bake I wanted to find
ways to make it easier on baking days.

1. I make a mix of the dry ingredients of my bread recipe (except yeast
since that is moisture sensative, etc) and store it in containers. I
have found that the Gladware entree containers (these are stackable,
lightweight plastic containers) work best for me. Plastice bags can tear
too easily and the Gladware containers store neatly in the cabinet. I
store the ingredients for 1 loaf per container and have labeled the lids
to indicate how many mixes are left. IE 3 left, 2 left, 1 left, last.
Other useful information to put on the container is the name of the
recipe and IF you leave any dry ingredients out (like yeast or baking
soda for a muffin recipe).

2. I use rice milk for my bread and typically only use it for making my
bread. This creates a problem of spoilage since a quart of rice milk is
enough for 4 weeks (I tried to use the smaller containers but they cost
more and are not available for the rice milk I can tolerate). So when I
open the container I use 1 cup for the current recipe and put the other
3 cups into 3 containers. My recipe calls for 1 1/8 cups of milk,
however I have found that the extra 1/8 cup can be left out or I can use
water. I then freeze the 3 containers and take one out to thaw the day
before I bake (I usually only bake once a week on Friday). If I forget
to take the container out early enough I thaw in the microwave.

3. When I bought the containers for the rice milk I didn't think of
using them for ALL the liquid ingredients (except the eggs--this is
personal, eggs can be frozen for this if blended like for scrambled eggs
however I just prefer to use fresh eggs and not worry about the eggs
getting accidently cooked if I have to defrost in the microwave). I just
found some inexpensive containers that I am using for the liquid
ingredients and froze the rice milk with the other wet ingredients that
I need for baking my basic bread recipe. I use sturdier containers for
freezing the liquid ingredients because the gladware containers don't
hold up with this type of storage. I originally got 9 oz which is large
enough for the milk, but not enough for the margarine and vinegar. I
just bought 12 oz (1.5 cup) containers which I found just fit the milk,
margarine and vinegar.

4. So when I plan on baking bread all I have to do is thaw the liquid
ingredients, dump liquid ingredients in container, add 3 eggs, dump in
the dry ingredients (I like to shake it well before dumping to ensure
the dry ingredients are well mixed) and put the yeast on top. I have a
bread maker which I had prior to going gf but no stand mixer so use the
breadmaker for making my bread.

5. I store my small tart pans that I use for baking the bread and 1
container of the dry bread mix inside the breadmaker container.

I have disliked the problem we have with bread getting gummy surfaces
plus have been looking for ways to make the bread last longer outside
the freezer AND not have to toast the bread. Through various errors I
have found that baking my bread at 400oF for the minimum normal time (my
recipe is for 12-15 minutes at 350oF) that the bread is still moist
inside and it does not get gummy. Plus it doesn't mold as quickly, I
have had it last about 5-6 days in a plastic container (it hasn't even
dried out when I leave the container open for extended periods--of
course we have had a VERY moist summer with alot of rain so this would
affect the moisture content). Based on some reading I have done the
lower temperatures would be more likely to dry out the bread and using
the higher temps for the shortest time would not dry the bread out in
the same way since it would "seal" the surface first.

I have also switched from Bette Hagman's original flour mix to her Light
Bean Flour Mix (however I won't use garfava flour because of the risk of
favism so I use garbanzo flour). This made a firmer bread that has a
nice give, my original bread was more like basic white bread.

My recipe is a modification of one previously posted to the list

Preheat oven to 350oF

3 eggs (room temperature, however my bread machine has a warming cycle
so I do not prewarm however you can place the egg, while in the shell,
in a bowl with hot water to get to room temperature) 1 1/8 milk or milk
substitute (at room temperature, because of the storage/spoilage problem
with using rice milk containers that contains 4 cups I have been using 1
cup) 3 Tablespoons margarine, melted (I don't melt, I find that my bread
machine mixes in the margarine adequately if it is not taken right out
of the freezer) 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (I actually add more, I don't
measure but it seems to be close to 1 Tablespoon)

Mix well: 2 cups GF flour (originally I used Bette Hagman's original
mix, however I currently use her Light Bean Mix with garbanzo flour
instead of garfava flour) 2 teaspoons Xantham Gum 2 Tablespoons sugar 1
teaspoon salt (I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon) 2 teaspoons yeast

I mix in the breadmaker using the knead cycle. Then I take it out and
put in tart pans (makes 8 large rolls).

Grease pans well (I use Pam and put tart pans on a cookie sheet which is
covered with parchment paper to cut down on cleanup caused by oil that
gets on the cookie sheet when I spray the tart pans. The cookie sheet
makes it easier/safer to put in/take out the pans from the oven).

Put dough in pans. Let rise for 40-60 minutes until double in size (I
have found the shorter time works for me however I am slightly above sea
level and my house is 71+F. Cover with wax paper or a smooth cloth.

Bake at 400oF for 12 minutes. (original recipe calls 350oF rolls for
10-15 minutes and depending on the size 20-60 minutes for a loaf).

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA