Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:55:16 -0500

Several people recommended bringing a Doctor’s Note stating the person has Celiac Disease and needs to travel with gluten free food, and carrying the note in the cooler with the food from home; some said they always brought the note but never actually had to use it.

Everyone states bringing food from home is not a problem, only liquids are restricted to those purchased from vendors after security or those served on the plane (water, juice, milk, soda). They prefer you to use the concessions after security, however they cannot ban you from bringing allowable food in small plastic pouches with you.

If your flight actually offers a meal and you prearrange a GF meal, it is likely to be awful.

Some people state success bringing foods such as individual packages of peanut butter, applesauce, tiny cans of fruit cocktail; others stated these are not allowed secondary to being “liquids.”

Many suggested bringing: a carry-on bag with various snack or protein bars (Lara bars, Bumble bars, Kind, Betty Lou’s Krispy Bites, Wellements Bora Bora Wellness Bars; some also mentioned Nature’s Path and Clif, though I couldn’t find any of those that were gluten free), bags of nuts and dried fruits (cherries, raisins), and boxes of gf crackers, tuna and chicken, cheese, lunchmeat, cookies, fresh fruit (esp. apples) and veggies if not an international flight, chips, GF beef jerky, pretzels,  bread, hard candy, dry cereal (and ask flight attendant for milk), or leftovers from last night's dinner.  Personally, I also just made a pan of  rice krispy type bars that I plan to cut and wrap to send along in case he doesn’t like any of those expensive bars I just bought!

Someone said if you fly to Europe using European or US airlines, you can get a special meal. If you ever travel to Europe, it is really easy to go gluten free The Europeans have it down, because they are tested all through their lives for gluten intolerance as part of their health screening.

Thanks again to all who responded!

Dawn Pilney

EarthLink Revolves Around You.