From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 16:56:08 -0400

MRS JOANNE R EGGLESTON <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Does anyone out there have a recipe for making homemade dill pickles
>or kosher dill pickles?  My garden will be ready shortly with
>cucumbers so am trying to get prepared!

Diana,

There are many different recipes for pickles and the people in the
rec.food.cooking newsgroup would be happy to post you some. My cookbooks
have lots of different ones also. Here's one that is fairly simple to key in:

Dill Pickles (from Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery)

Carefully select and wash good cucumbers about 5 or 6 inches long. Pack them
in earthenware jars. Between the layers of cucumbers, place thin layers of
dill, using stalks, leaves, and seed balls. Cover with brine (using about 1
pound of salt to 3 pints of water). Place a layer of grape or horseradish
leaves on top and weight down with a large earthen plate. Let stand several
weeks before using.

Your Joy of Cooking has a recipe that is a little more complicated and
explains the difference between Dill and Kosher Dill pickles.

Don Wiss.