From:
Olivia Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olivia Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:57:47 -0400

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the many replies that people sent to my question about
GF Fast Food.  I leave tomorrow for my trip out west so I have finally
gotten to summarize responses:

McDonald's:  Overwhelmingly positive experiences from many people.
Approximately 17 people said that the French Fries, Ketchup, and Hamburger
without bun are GF.  2 people said to ask the individual McDonalds if they
have a dedicated fryer.  Several people were nice enough to send me the
company's list of GF food.  Notable on the list was that the Vanilla and
Strawberry shakes are GF, but the Chocolate shake is NOT (due to malt, I
think).   The company and several people said the eggs, hash browns, and
sausage are GF.

Burger King:  Many negative responses, especially concerning cross
contamination of french fries because the oil may be used for breaded onion
rings or chicken..  Several people did say the burgers w/out buns are GF.
No one said that they were able to get any official word from Burger King
itself.

Wendy's:  Many positive responses.  People said the burgers and grilled
chicken are GF, as is the Frosty desert.  Most suggested a baked potato too.
I got a list from the company in the mail, which supported this.  The
Wendy's list also said that the chili is GF, and the taco salad and taco
chips are GF, but no salsa.  Several people said that the Fries are NOT GF,
although 7 people said that they DO eat the fries at Wendy's.  A few
suggested asking the individual Wendy's about the dedicated fryer.  No one
mentioned the ketchup.

Taco Bell:  At least 8 people said to stay away from Taco Bell.  Several
people said they have pinto beans and cheese that is OK and that they used
to have a GF tostato.

Outback, Boston Market, and In-and-Out Burgers:  Several people said that
these places have many choices that are GF.

I received 6 responses that suggested avoiding fast food altogether and
packing our own food.

Two great links that people gave were:
www.gfutah.org/eatout/fastfoodpage.html
which lists GF food at Carl's Jr., Dairy Queen, and TCBY
and a link to http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
which has an on-line support group with lots of information, including food
lists.

Thank you again,
Olivia in Boston, MA