From:
Albert Vala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Albert Vala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 10:32:22 -0400

Curious about what's fuelling Novak Djokovic's rocket ride to the
verge of the top ranking in men's tennis?
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/article/992437--djokovic-switched-to-gluten-free-diet-now-he-s-unstoppable-on-court?bn=1

Published On Tue May 17 2011

Well, it's not pasta. At least not the standard kind.
"Djokovic switched to gluten-free diet, now he's unstoppable on court"

Before the current season, Djokovic switched to a gluten-free diet and
suddenly most forms of processed carbohydrates became off-limits to
him.

Just as suddenly, he grew into an unstoppable force on the tennis
court. In January he defeated world No. 1 Rafael Nadal to win the
Australian Open, and this past Sunday he dropped Nadal again to win
the Italian Open.

The 23-year-old attributes much of his success to his eating habits.

Common in starchy foods, gluten helps make bread rise and bagels
chewy. But some people don't digest it well, and in others it can
exacerbate autoimmune disorders from eczema to multiple sclerosis. For
those with celiac disease, gluten is especially harmful.

Djokovic said off-season testing determined he was allergic to gluten,
prompting the drastic shift in his eating habits.

“I have lost some weight but it's only helped me because my movement
is much sharper now and I feel great physically,” he told the Mirror
in April.

But “gluten-free” doesn't necessarily mean “healthy,” says Noah
Deutsch, a trainer and nutritionist in Victoria, B.C. Instead of
buying expensive gluten-free processed foods, she recommends simply
replacing foods with oats, barley or rye with gluten-free whole foods
such as buckwheat, yams or quinoa.

Going gluten-free won't turn a fringe professional into Djokovic, but
Deutsch recommends that athletes try it if they're curious.

“If they feel better and they're not finding it too restrictive, they
might as well stay on it,” she says. “If they don't feel better or
they find it too restrictive then there's no point ... but if it
works, it works.”