From:
Jean Wetherell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:16:28 EST

Here is a reply I received to a request for their gluten free menu items.
Another restaurant bites the dust. It took them 2 weeks to come up with this
one-----

Thanks for your question about whether our menu items have any gluten
products in them.

The simple answer is that many of our items do not contain any gluten
ingredients. However, due to the nature of the way multiple food orders are
prepared and cooked in a restaurant, it is virtually impossible for us to say
that a certain item would be free of gluten ingredients.

For example, you could order an item that does not contain any gluten,
however the time could have been grilled next to an item that did contain
gluten products, or was handled with the same spatula.

Further complicating things is the fact that many of our special seasoning
spices are produced in plants where other items that do contain gluten
products, or was handled with the same spatula.

There are also some occasions where the restaurant might have to purchase
products locally to substitute for something they have run out of. Gluten
products could be introduced to our recipes in this way.

Our policy has been to supply ingredient statements for specific food items
if requested by a physician on behalf of a patient who has experienced a
reaction/allergy to a meal at Smokey Bones BBQ. Since some people are
allergic to very, very tiny amounts of allergens and given the cooking and
manufacturing issues mentioned above we cannot offer any guidance for our
guests who have severe allergies on what they might safely eat.

Sincerely,

Tiffany Canamas
Smokey Bones BBQ & Sports Bar